Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is there an SMR Jodo dojo in Phoenix

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Question Is there an SMR Jodo dojo in Phoenix

My sister is looking for a jodo dojo in Phoenix, preferably near Moon Valley? Does anyone know of one?

Aloha!
    Ken
    Ken Goldstein
    --------------------------------
    Judo Kodansha/MJER Iaido Kodansha/Jodo Oku-iri
    Fencing Master/NRA Instructor

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Hawaii View Post
    My sister is looking for a jodo dojo in Phoenix, preferably near Moon Valley? Does anyone know of one?
    I don't know how far from Moon Valley it is, but I know of a dojo in Mesa, which is just east of Phoenix:

Renshinkan
    2450 West Broadway Road
    Mesa, Arizona 85202
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 23rd July 2013 at 06:50.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Brian. My wife & I grew up in Phoenix, but we didn't start jodo until we moved to Hawaii, & are lucky enough to train under Quintin Chambers sensei.

Mesa is a long way from where my sister lives, but I'll let her know just in case.

Aloha!
    Ken

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Hawaii View Post
    Thanks, Brian. My wife & I grew up in Phoenix, but we didn't start jodo until we moved to Hawaii, & are lucky enough to train under Quintin Chambers sensei.

Mesa is a long way from where my sister lives, but I'll let her know just in case.
    I don't know if Mesa is the dojo location or just a contact address; I've also seen reference to Renshinkan being located in Tempe rather than Mesa.

At any rate, 25 or 35 miles or so isn't "a long way" compared to how far most people would have to go to find a legitimate dojo, so I hope it can be made to work out for her.

The school is affiliated with Phil Relnick Sensei of Seattle, and Chambers Sensei should be able to tell you more about them.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Oh, I definitely agree, Brian, but my sister is in her mid-50s & isn't exactly in the best of shape. I'm hoping she will at least attend a few sessions to see what it's all about - she definitely needs some stress relief!

Renshinkan has a nice new dojo building, from their Web-site, which will appeal to her. Chambers sensei has us train outside on the side of a mountain, rain or shine! I've sent them an e-mail to find out more for her, & will also ask Sensei at our next training session.

When my folks moved me out to Phoenix in 1949, there were 40,000 people, compared to the 4+ million today. And although the freeway system is pretty good, 55th Avenue & Greenway is a long way from Tempe/Mesa!

Ken

Likes (received)

The instructor at the Renshinkan is Steve Furbush, assisted by Charlie Atkinson. They are longtime training colleagues of mine and I can vouch for both of them, both technically and as individuals. Good folks all around.