Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aikijujutsu in Texas?

bomb tech Guest

Default Aikijujutsu in Texas?

Good morning all,

I am preparing to move to San Antonio, Texas the beginning of next year and I was wondering if anyone had any information concerning an Aikijujutsu dojo in the area.

Failing that, any information on Aikido dojos or other koryu bujutsu schools in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Domo arigato gozaimashita,

Don

Likes (received)

Hello,

The best person to talk to regarding these arts in Texas would be Mr. Threadgill or Mr. Elias - both of whom are on this forum.

Mr. Threadgill's web pages is in a link provided at the top of this AJJ forum if you'd like to take a look.

Regards,

Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

bomb tech Guest

Thanks Mr. Scott,

I have already contacted Mr. Threadgill and Mr. Keen and they have both been very helpful. I will take your advice and contact Mr. Elias too.

Thank you,

Don

Likes (received)

A good friend of mine is looking for a legitimate Aikijujutsu school in the Houston, TX area.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
    Ken J. Good
    Strategos International
    http://stategosintl.com
    [/url]

Jerry Johnson Guest

Likes (received)

Default Thanax

Thank you for the link.

I will have my buddy check it out.
    Ken J. Good
    Strategos International
    [/url]

Likes (received)

http://www.koryubudo.com/soucent.htm

Please help your friend ask the right questions (hopefully receiving the right answers) regarding what he/she considers "legitimate". Please feel free to ask around here to get more insight as well. While the reading may be appealing to a novice, all too often the publications from that site have no sources or bibliography attached to validate their claims.

Let the Buyer Beware!

Devon

Likes (received)

Default Always Leary

Not to worry.

I am extremely skeptical of most Aikijujutsu schools at this point.

Thank you for watching the six.
    Ken J. Good
    Strategos International
    [/url]

Jerry Johnson Guest

Sorry, I just came across the link as is in another thread and thought it might count for something. Just was trying to be helpful. Plus I wasn't sure either if that page should be under scruntity that is why, Ken, I emailed you privately. If it was a questionable person then that info would have been transmitted to me privately. That is how I perfer to handle stuff like this. Ken, my email is still vaild. I would like to hear any results if possible. Feel free to PM.

Thanks. Again sorry for the confusion.

Likes (received)

Smile

Hi a friend of mine is interested in Daito ryu Aikijujutsu, and would like to know if there are any training groups here in the houston area?
    Thank you

Terry Ham, Shidoshi
    Bujinkan Chosui Dojo
    Pasadena, TX USA

"Bufu ni sente nashi"

Likes (received)

Default Dojos - NW Dallas?

I'm sorry. I hate these kinds of posts, but I'm desperate. I've scoured the 'net and the search functions here and I've not been able to find what I'm looking for.

I live in the NW Dallas suburb of Flower Mound and I'm looking for a martial arts school really close. My job and my family keep me very busy and I simply do not have time to drive all over Dallas to practice martial arts.

I am looking for a school that teaches any form of jujutsu/aikijujutsu/aikijitsu/vee jutsu, etc. Anything other than Brazilian for now. I just can't find one. Actually, it doesn't even have to be a school. It could be an instructor teaching out of their garage. I don't care. I just want a qualified instructor and a nice group of folks to work out with.

Can anyone help me here?

Thank you so much.
    Jeff Jackson

Jeff,

My dojo in Dallas is located just west of Downtown so that would be a long hike for you. I'm moving to Colorado in the fall anyway so I'm not really an option for you. The Martial Arts Club at SMU is a great choice on many levels but again the distance is probably too great for you. I'm over there twice a week. If the distance is not too far that is my recommendation. It's a great group.

Another consideration would be the Jyushinkai Aiki group training with the guys of the old Tamura Judo Dojo over by Bachman Lake. They are good folks and their organization strong under the guidance of Chuck Clark. They are closer to you.

Toby

Warren Wright Guest

Hi Toby,

Can you tell more about the SMU martial arts club?

I see from their web site that they study "Yokage Aiki Jujutsu". Can you point me towards more information on this style and its lineage?

Thanks!

I live fairly close to SMU (10 minutes), and with my wife pregnant, studying there might be a better option than Farmer's Branch.

-Warren Wright

Warren,

The SMU Martial Arts Club operates as a Yanagi ryu Tozama Dojo. The curriculum differs from pure Yanagi ryu as the club focuses only on AJJ (hence the name change), but is overseen by Don Angier Sensei. Don Angier Sensei teaches seminars three times a year for the club at SMU and the SMU instructors frequently visit the Yanagi ryu hombu dojo in Long Beach. California

Chief instructor, Bryan Robbins and I founded the SMU/ AJJ club in 1988. Don Angier formally authorized the club as a Yanagi ryu affiliate dojo in 1992. At this time he awarded Bryan Robbins a license recognizing him as the chief instructor of the dojo.

For more info on Yanagi ryu / Don Angier go to www.aikidojournal.com. Don Angier was one of 10 instructors teaching seminars featured at the 1st Aiki Expo this past May in Las Vegas.

Toby

Likes (received)

Thank you Toby. I think I found the school that meets down by bachman lake. Isn't that on NW highway? If its what I'm thinking about, its too far south for me. =(

I find it odd that there are no JJ schools in the Coppell/Flower Mound/Denton County area as it has some of the fastest growing towns in the metroplex. Guess it just takes time. And we're also inundated with TKD schools.
    Jeff Jackson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast