Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Back into the breach

Likes (received)

Default Back into the breach

I've agreed to teach an intro class for the local Adult Ed program this fall. I instruct a non-profit club at the school where I teach during the day and I work-out with a few former students privately, but I haven't taught a public class for over a year.

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm always nervous of programs that take anyone through the door.

So, here's to lots of kihon and Taikyoku again! Here's to "No, no your other left foot!" And here's to the inevitable 30-year old airbender in the back of the class! Also, here's to me becoming a better teacher - I can't wait.

2. Likes mkrueger liked this post
    Likes (received)

Congratulations and good luck!
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

A fun game to play with beginners of all ages -- Red Rover.

One side holds arms, and people on the other side try to crash through.

For the side gripping, the trick is to point the index fingers.

For the side going through, the idea is to focus on walking to the wall. There is no line.

Another one to try. Heel-and-toe walking. Most folks walk like Frankenstein's Monster in the movie. Heel-and-toe. Heel-and-toe.

Useful life skills.

And, finally, Magic Finger. Have them take a stance. See their center. Then, with the Magic Finger (for this purpose, little finger of your weak side hand), touch their center and off balance them. Just touch. Really good folks will make you get into a horse stance and center yourself, but at this stage? Feather light works just fine.

Lots of laughs, and the fundamentals taught here work in all kinds of situations, to include some fairly advanced martial art applications.

Likes (received)

I too recently returned to teaching so glad to know I have company out there!
    Robert Cheshire
    Yoseikan Teacher
    www.yoseikanbudo.us
    www.fagri-igraf.org/

6. Likes Geoff liked this post
    Likes (received)

I find teaching the "anyone through the door" concept a great way to always be kept "on your toes" so to speak. It's a chance to review your material and figure how to present it in perhaps even in a newer approach than you did before.Its also another opportunity to pass on a cultural tradition for posterity. Nothing I find more fulfilling than to see the students progress and actually learn something, even becoming good instructors themselves. Best of luck!

Phil Scudieri
    www.delawarebudokan.net
    ZNSBR/Seibukan Dojo