Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Funakoshi's Posse

Likes (received)

You're right it looks nothing like it.

Also, we have Kanbun Uechi that was known to have learned only in China and learned something very similiar to Kanryo. Historical evidence would suggest that they are connected. In Uechi we know one of the sources was Tiger boxing. We also know from statements that Uechi made that he learned some katas that he did not pass on and that Suparenpei was a kata that he did not learn. The base katas are both the same in Goju/Uechi (Sanchin, Seisan, Sanseiryu and Suparenpei), although Miyagi taught more than those 4. If we look at the art of To'on Ryu, we also see that the base 4 are the same from Kanryo and Juhatsu added in some others himself, which suggests that the other katas were added in later by Miyagi.

Fujian White Crane should not be confused with Fuzhou White Crane even though they are both southern white crane styles. there are many different white crane styles (feeding/whooping etc).
    "Hard won, buy easy lost. True karate does not stay where it is not being used."

Likes (received)

I had a brain fart yesterday. Aragaki Seisho is what I should have typed not Shoshin. I'm getting old you know. LOL.

I like Uechi. My teacher has a 4th dan from Uechi Kanei. He has taught me some of Uechi System. A lot of our striking comes from Uechi. My teacher can hit harder with his thumbs than I can hit with my fists. I don't teach any Uechi kata. Heck I still can't get my Goju right.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ZachZinn View Post
    The Chinese connection has always seemed less important to me than some make of it, even if you find the same kata, usually it's not only changed beyond recognition, but the entire method of Nahate, locomotion, striking etc. seems fundamentally different than white crane etc. People like super-secret links and mysterious stuff though.
    Occum's razor alone leads me to believe the any Chinese connection through Higaoshionna is way over blown. Miyagi Sendai trip where he went to Jing Wu may have been more influential and maybe not. I find it interesting that Miyagi himself never mentions his teacher's trip to China but say they inherited a Chinese boxing system in 1828.
    Ed Boyd

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3