Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hello all

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cady Goldfield View Post
    That's understandable, and that's life. Training is something you can always go back to later on when circumstances permit. In the meantime, keeping a connection on the budo forums is a good way to keep your mind involved even when your body doesn't have time or a dojo.
    Good point. But i have yet to find a qualifying dojo within my area
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

There may be study groups that don't advertise, where new members are brought in by recommendation or invitation. Don't give up yet - you never know. And, you might eventually come across someone on E-Budo who can connect you.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

I found a group at a University with a instructor having a good lineage, but I a cannot be allowed unless I become a collegiate student
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Yeah, that's typical.

Another possibility -- the instructor might be talked into training with you (for a fee) outside the university, and maybe even get a small study group together (school staff/faculty, people from the surrounding community).
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Tried that. This instructor has little time outside of University life. It makes sense that some qualified instructors are at Universities because, a education institute such as that, hold high standards
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Looks like you might have to take the cheapest continuing-ed course and get a student ID!
    Or, try something outside the box and approach the director of student activities or the director of facilities (of the school gym) and see if, for a fee, you could train with the club. If you plead your case of desperation to train with this lineage and that no other opportunities exist within driving distance, show you have your own health insurance (liability is probably one of the issues schools cite for not letting outsiders participate), you might be able to get them to bend some rules. Getting an endorsement and support (in writing, or in person) from the instructor could sway them in the right direction. You never know.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Looks like you might have to take the cheapest continuing-ed course and get a student ID!
    Or, try something outside the box and approach the director of student activities or the director of facilities (of the school gym) and see if, for a fee, you could train with the club. If you plead your case of desperation to train with this lineage and that no other opportunities exist within driving distance, show you have your own health insurance (liability is probably one of the issues schools cite for not letting outsiders participate), you might be able to get them to bend some rules. Getting an endorsement and support (in writing, or in person) from the instructor could sway them in the right direction. You never know.
    Interesting

The student ID-ed course was not the option, financially

Haven't thought of the instructor endorsement. That particular collegiate instructor has respect for my instructor-(no longer in the area) when I dropped his name.

And we got off on the right foot. I just didn't go in there "expecting anything" and with utmost, genuine respect

He and I never considered the liability issue. We just thought we were restricted by a non-student regulation

On another note, I can barely determine the pic of your avatar-What is it exactly
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Scardina View Post
    Interesting

The student ID-ed course was not the option, financially

Haven't thought of the instructor endorsement. That particular collegiate instructor has respect for my instructor-(no longer in the area) when I dropped his name.

And we got off on the right foot. I just didn't go in there "expecting anything" and with utmost, genuine respect

He and I never considered the liability issue. We just thought we were restricted by a non-student regulation

On another note, I can barely determine the pic of your avatar-What is it exactly
    The avatar is a photo of a kabuto with an octopus motif. Pretty funky, no? I've seen them with deer antlers and other animal parts or shapes, but never one that incorporated a mollusk with tentacles.

Good luck with the training. I hope that you do get to join the collegiate group as some kind of special permission.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

The avatar is a photo of a kabuto with an octopus motif. Pretty funky, no? I've seen them with deer antlers and other animal parts or shapes, but never one that incorporated a mollusk with tentacles.

Good luck with the training. I hope that you do get to join the collegiate group as some kind of special permission.
    I thought that it was that combo. I figured my eyes were playing tricks

The paradox of having decades of experience is too much scrutiny upon several 3, 4th, 5th generations of martial art instructors who were in diapers when I was at my peak.

Now, don't misconstrue, these "youngsters" have skills, but they quickly branched off upon obtaining their cherished black belts in order to
    open up a school and teach"
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Welcome and happy hunting. There is a vast wealth of knowledge on here so feel free to ask and reseach to your hearts content!
    Robert Cheshire
    Yoseikan Teacher
    www.yoseikanbudo.us
    www.fagri-igraf.org/

Likes (received)

Gentlemen
    Having taken my first lesson at the new Dojo, i have to admit (in the words of Arnold ) "I'm Old!!" everyone there is younger , and more graceful , also Sezsa is painful on my knees, as an avid bicycle rider my leg muscles are to big to fully kneel with my butt touching my heels! feels like my knees are gonna POP!! I'm trying streching exsercizes to get my butt down so i can do the first form (shohat-to) assighned me.
    Charles Grusovnik

12. Likes Richard Scardina, Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

A lot of us here are "old," so there will be a lot of sympathetic groans from the lot of us. Especially the seiza "issues."
    Just take it slow and don't try to do stuff that you know your body isn't yet conditioned for. Gradually stretch those quads. And don't worry about "graceful." Stick with working the basics, and eventually you'll amaze yourself (and others) that the "old guy" has grace.

You might try posting a thread on the "Budo and the Body" forum to ask for some tips on how to condition yourself for seiza. A lot of folks here probably have some good advice, especially in dealing with older knees.

Good luck, and congrats for having the courage to take the plunge into a new discipline.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

A lot of us here are "old," so there will be a lot of sympathetic groans from the lot of us. Especially the seiza "issues."
    Just take it slow and don't try to do stuff that you know your body isn't yet conditioned for. Gradually stretch those quads. And don't worry about "graceful." Stick with working the basics, and eventually you'll amaze yourself (and others) that the "old guy" has grace.

You might try posting a thread on the "Budo and the Body" forum to ask for some tips on how to condition yourself for seiza. A lot of folks here probably have some good advice, especially in dealing with older knees.

Good luck, and congrats for having the courage to take the plunge into a new discipline.
    And some of us are "ancient"
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Gentlemen
    Having completed eight months of Iai-do, i'm amazed at where i started and where i am ! Plus where i must go!!
    The scool i joined is imho top shelf, the teacher (sensi) is REALLY patient with this old guy! we train in a relaxed atmosphere, no great pressure, and no matter how tired or worn from the days stress, i leave the dojo feeling refreashed(but tired good tired) and feel i acomplished something !!!
    Charles L. Grusovnik

16. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

So good to hear from you after you've found a school and started training! Congratulations on your progress, and best wishes for your continued joy in your chosen art.
    Cady Goldfield

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast