Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Survey says – this is Aiki!

Likes (received)

Default Survey says – this is Aiki!

At Cady's suggestion - here's my latest blog post "Survey says – this is Aiki!".

Enjoy!

Chris

2. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Li View Post
    Enjoy
    For me, as a non “aikidoka” it was nice to read all this on Aiki (there is too much, so I have to admit I didn’t read all )

We all know that “AI” (from the verb au) means joint, connect, meet and “KI” is usually simply translated as energy(but it refers also to a more esoteric force that is called chi by the Chinese, which is most often seen as the vital energy of life, which flows in the body).

I used to say to people, that in contrast to Aikido where aiki (合気) usually refers to the harmony of forces, in most other arts, it usually refers to the use of force against force. I will still say this as an easy way out but when people are interested I will guide them to this link.

Since I am training in jujutsu (HYR) and kenjutsu (OHIR), I read with interest (amongst others) the article “Strange, Odd and False Theories of "Aiki".

Thanks for sharing.
    Guy Buyens
    Hontai Yoshin Ryu (本體楊心流)
    BELGIAN BRANCH http://www.hontaiyoshinryu.be/

Likes (received)

Glad you enjoyed it Guy!

Best,

Chris

Likes (received)

Hello Chris,

Thank you for posting the link here. It gives me a chance to respond without feeling guilty about posting over at AikiWeb in preference to here.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Hello Chris,

I have two initial reactions to the extracts. First, it is of note that Masatake Fujita, arch-Aikikai member and General Affairs Director under Kisshomaru Ueshiba, does not attempt to break down the term into 合 and 気, which is usual official Aikikai practice. Secondly, Morihei Ueshiba makes no attempt to define or even describe the term. He simply notes that you need to be standing on the 天之浮き橋 before the question even arises.

Incidentally, have you seen the three volumes that have so far appeared of the French translation of Takemusu Aiki? I think it is the best that has so far appeared. To begin with it, is a complete translation of the lectures, not selections, and follows the Sonoko Tanaka translation in being relatively careful and scholarly. I cannot yet comment on the accuracy of the translation, but the edition marks a significant advance in studies of Morihei Ueshiba's published discourses.

Best wishes,

PAG
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by P Goldsbury View Post
    Incidentally, have you seen the three volumes that have so far appeared of the French translation of Takemusu Aiki? I think it is the best that has so far appeared. To begin with it, is a complete translation of the lectures, not selections, and follows the Sonoko Tanaka translation in being relatively careful and scholarly. I cannot yet comment on the accuracy of the translation, but the edition marks a significant advance in studies of Morihei Ueshiba's published discourses.
    I've seen that it's out, but my French is so far behind me that it comes out mixed with Japanese when I try to recall it. It looks impressive, though, from what I can see.

Best,

Chris