Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suggest me.....

PheekaJabal Guest

Default Suggest me.....

For personal defense, what would be the best firearm???
    If that was the route a person wanted to take?

What to consider: Caliber, Size, Concealability, Actual use in a situation.
    Waiting for your replies......

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by PheekaJabal View Post
    For personal defense, what would be the best firearm???
    If that was the route a person wanted to take?

What to consider: Caliber, Size, Concealability, Actual use in a situation.
    Waiting for your replies......
    What you can carry comfortably and will carry. And what you can hit what you are shooting at with.

3. Likes TonyU liked this post
    Likes (received)

The "best" firearm is like asking for the "best" martial art

There are going to be personal preferences.

Also, don't let anyone tell you that one gun or caliber is superior or can knock down someone with a single shot.

For inside a home (spacious, not a apartment), a shotgun is good. No need to aim and the pattern is wide

For close range, per a pistol, I always favorite the .45

The auto verses revolver debate is almost extinct. Many autos are reliable

Most police are using .40, a scant few using 9mm, .45

I like the 10mm, as it gets me a magnum class cartridge in a auto

.40 is a tad more powerful than a .38+ spl,
    .38+ spl, is a tad more powerful than a 9mm
    9mm tad more powerful than a .380

I would do research/reading before asking on a martial art forum

Better to go to a firearm forum

Good reads:

The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry by Massad Ayoob
    The Gun Guide for People Who Know Nothing About Firearms by Steven Gregersen
    Gun Safety Guide by Vitaly Pedchenko
    The 7 Things You Must Know Before You Draw Your Gun: What You Must Know Before You Carry Concealed by U.S. Concealed Carry Association
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Haven't participated in this forum for a long time, but what the hell.

Never liked the .40. Big .45 fan, but have no issues and also like the 9. Throughout my shooting life and career I've gone through the whole "what caliber should I carry" debate within myself. Finally, I've come to the conclusion that it didn't matter as long as I was able to shoot it competently. I'd rather hit with a 9 then miss with a .40.
    Also, that debate came a little easier as my department now has a standard weapon and caliber.

Kit, nice to see you here.
    Tony Urena

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyU View Post
    Haven't participated in this forum for a long time, but what the hell.

Never liked the .40. Big .45 fan, but have no issues and also like the 9. Throughout my shooting life and career I've gone through the whole "what caliber should I carry" debate within myself. Finally, I've come to the conclusion that it didn't matter as long as I was able to shoot it competently. I'd rather hit with a 9 then miss with a .40.
    Also, that debate came a little easier as my department now has a standard weapon and caliber.

Kit, nice to see you here.
    And then there is the large capacity mag issue as well
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

My only recommendation is to go with a reputable big name brand (Glock, Sig, H&K, S&W etc. etc.)

Other than that, find a gun range in your area that allows you to rent guns and try different kinds to see what feels the best in your hand and is easiest for you to use. I was at the range one time and could see the target next to me and the shots were all over the place. The guy was trying to shoot a .45 and he kept flinching right before he would pull the trigger so he had no control over his shot placement. It doesn't matter how good your gun is, or how great a caliber it is if you can't use it appropriately.

Once you get more and more familiar with guns, you will find that they are like women's shoes. You will want a different gun based on where/how you will be carrying it. LOL
    "Hard won, buy easy lost. True karate does not stay where it is not being used."

8. Likes TonyU liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    My only recommendation is to go with a reputable big name brand (Glock, Sig, H&K, S&W etc. etc.)

Other than that, find a gun range in your area that allows you to rent guns and try different kinds to see what feels the best in your hand and is easiest for you to use. I was at the range one time and could see the target next to me and the shots were all over the place. The guy was trying to shoot a .45 and he kept flinching right before he would pull the trigger so he had no control over his shot placement. It doesn't matter how good your gun is, or how great a caliber it is if you can't use it appropriately.

Once you get more and more familiar with guns, you will find that they are like women's shoes. You will want a different gun based on where/how you will be carrying it. LOL
    Agree with this except women's shoes...their shoes come in different colors and are "cute" (so they say)
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Richard --

You mean you didn't get your SigSauer in Mosquito Pink? http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...nk-finish.aspx

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Svinth View Post
    Richard --

You mean you didn't get your SigSauer in Mosquito Pink? http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...nk-finish.aspx
    I knew someone was going to reference a pink firearm
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

You can also get your favorite fashion accessory in shades of blue, green, purple, camouflage (gray, Woodland, desert, digital), nickel, stainless steel (matte and shiny), Parkerized, anodized black, and custom. See, for example, http://www.acoating.com/index.php/co...lors-available .

Likes (received)

I've painted a few weapons. More for utilitarian purposes than anything else.
    Tony Urena

Likes (received)

Painting a sniper's rifle to break up silhouette makes sense. Anodizing a carry weapon keeps rust down. But the Lady Ruger in Lilac suggests a fashion accessory.

15. Likes TonyU liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Svinth View Post
    Painting a sniper's rifle to break up silhouette makes sense. Anodizing a carry weapon keeps rust down. But the Lady Ruger in Lilac suggests a fashion accessory.
    It is all a conspiracy to have females get guns.....
    Richard Scardina

17. Likes TonyU liked this post
    Likes (received)

Clearly, the finish is a marketing ploy. However, what really astonished me was the warning that accompanied the finish -- to keep it looking good, you need to avoid using harsh chemicals. And here I was, thinking if you bought a piece, you'd shoot it, and if you shot it, you'd clean it afterwards.

Likes (received)

I did paint one handgun to "accessorize" if you will. I Duracoated the frame in what they call Dark Earth.
    Tony Urena

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast