Likes Likes:  1

Thread: The feast of champions...Ramen???

Likes (received)

Default The feast of champions...Ramen???

Im sure there is a post for this already, but as a poor college student does anyone have any good recipes with ramen that can give me some energy i need during iaido practice.

Likes (received)

On the budget? Mixed frozen vegetables and a hot link. Also, add mint (from the spice jar) and some jalapeno to the broth. And, don't throw the broth away, drink it. The sodium levels are really high, though, if you use the packet that comes with the ramen. So, if salt intake is an issue, you need some other stuff for flavors. The hot link doesn't work either. In that case, try little thin slices of beef just before you serve, much as you'd do with pho.

Likes (received)

Ramen is so high in sodium that I hestitate to consider it a nourishing food. But a lot of people on tight budgets live on the stuff, so at least it does provide calories.

I'd opt for instead buying whole-wheat plain pasta, which has virtually no sodium, and use that as your cheap caloric base. To that you can add pretty much anything to fill it out -- chopped stir fried (frozen) veggies, a scrambled egg, parmesan cheese (generic brand in a shaker can), a dash of soy sauce (just a dash... has lots of sodium), chopped tofu. Cook the pasta/noodles in chicken broth, beef broth or fish broth. They absorb the flavor of whatever you cook them in.

If you go to a chain supermarket, most have a generic or house-brands of pasta, and you can buy whole-grain (more nutritious than "white") noodles relatively cheaply, and definitely get more for your money than with processed foods like Cup-o'-Ramen. Same with frozen veggies (more nutritious than canned veggies), cheese, etc.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

You can typically pick up enough rice and pasta to feed half of Italy at the food bank. Get some dried beans, too, while you're at it. Then head to the supermarket, and get a head of cabbage, an onion, some garlic, and a jalapeno pepper. With that, you're well on your way to eating like most of the world.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Valscorn View Post
    ...does anyone have any good recipes with ramen that can give me some energy i need during iaido practice.
    Ditto what Cady said about sodium levels, but to directly answer your question about ramen recipes:

I like adding frozen mixed veggies (canned will do if you don't have a freezer in your dorm or wherever) and diced Spam. It's not traditional Japanese fare, but I like it. I add the same ingredients to rice for a change of pace.

BTW, a simple automatic rice cooker is a great investment for a college student if you don't have one yet. Add rice and water, set it, and forget it. It'll ding when it's done with no chance of boiling over or burning, so you can be cooking while you're studying.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

You can use a rice cooker for noodles and veggies too. It's kind of like a "lite" crockpot.
    And for ramen, if you absolutely have to eat them, you can mix them with anything. Toss them with cooked veggies, a scrambled egg or chopped hard-boiled egg (highly nutritious), a shake of canned parmesan cheese, sauteed diced onions and garlic, etc. Even scrambled bits of hamburger.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Drain off the water and throw the noodles in with a can of diced tomatoes.

I like Ramen noodles with scrabbled eggs ... if you can afford eggs.

Canned chicken meat with chicken flavored Ramen noodles is good.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Here is a recipe for Miso Ramen Soup:

ingredients:

4 eggs
    10 oz (285 g) dried ramen noodles
    1/2 cup (200 g) fresh or canned bamboo shoots, sliced
    1/2 cup (170 g) fresh or canned corn kernels, drained
    1/3 cup (80 g) defrosted frozen or fresh spinach
    8 cups (2 liters) store-bought or homemade pork or vegetable broth
    2 teaspoons instant dashi granules
    1 tablespoon soy sauce, or to taste
    4 tablespoons fresh miso paste
    1 cup (100 g) fresh bean sprouts
    1 stalk green onion (scallions), finely chopped
    4 teaspoons chili oil (optional)

directions:

Place the whole, un-cracked eggs in a medium pot and fill with water to cover eggs by 1 inch (2.5 cm). Turn the heat to high and when boiling, turn the heat off and let the eggs sit in the hot water for 10 minutes. Promptly use a slotted spoon to remove the eggs and peel the egg under cold running water. Slice each egg in half.
    Return the same pot of water to a boil. Add the ramen noodles and cook according to package instructions (most ramen noodles only take 3 minutes to cook.) Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
    Divide the noodles, hardboiled eggs, bamboo shoots, corn and spinach among 4 large serving bowls.
    In a large pot, add the stock, instant dashi and soy sauce. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the miso. Taste the soup and add an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons of miso if you’d like. Ladle soup into each bowl. Top each bowl with fresh bean sprouts, green onions and a drizzle of chili oil, if desired.

Likes (received)

Ramen is often in my meal planner: I microwave the ramen until it's done, drain it, and mix in two lightly beaten eggs, maybe half the seasoning packet, and a handful of frozen peas or any other veg I have handy like some chopped tomato, or a couple of chopped spring onions (or skip the veg, whatevs). Then I pour it into a nonstick frying pan, spread out like a pancake, and fry it on medium for 3-4 minutes each side, or until it's starting to get crispy. It gets an interesting texture inside and out. The protein from the egg makes it a lot more nutritious and filling.

10. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post