Likes Likes:  0

Thread: question about sword

Likes (received)

Default question about sword

Hi guys,

Theres a really nice sword I wish to buy from a long time friend of mine, however it has a couple of small chips (about 1/8 inch) about 12 inches from the habaki, so its not really in the cutting area of the sword. However i want to use this sword for dodangiri cutting also, will this part of the sword come into contact with the target during dodangiri cutting? Or is dodangiri cutting more with the center of the blade?

Have a good one.
    Dave

Likes (received)

Hi Dave,
    Depends on how large your targets and how long your sword.
    When I have cut dodan, we have used double mat targets, which are about 6 inches wide. You try to cut with the center of the sword in dodan, so about three inches down from the center of your sword could possibly contact the target. If your sword is 28 inches nagasa, then 12 inches from habaki will potentially put the chip one inch into the target area at the beginning of the cut.

However, I don't know that I would allow someone to use a chipped sword without knowing how the chips happened.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

The sword is actually 31.5 inch nagasa, and I measured the distance of the chips again, it's 10 inches away from habaki. I asked my friend how it became chipped, he accidentally dropped the sword and the edge came into contact with a steel chair. What do you think??
    Have a good one
    Dave

Likes (received)

Dave -
    From my perspective I would say that a proper polish would remove the chip by polishing the entire length and reducing the width of the sword to the deepest point of the chip. If the trauma caused by the chair did not generate a deeper hagire at the point of impact, then the polish (reshaping) would restore the blade to full function provided there were no issues prior.

Polishing just the chip out would work as well but would be the start to a bad end for a good sword. my humble opinion only but should you continue to use the blade with the chip, regardless of where you are contacting the target you are asking for a nasty bend or worse a break...
    -t
    Thomas C Helm
    Musô Jikiden Eishin-Ryu
    www.toryu-mon.com

Likes (received)

Whether you can or should continue to use the blade for cutting depends on a couple of things. It does not sound like the chip is deep or large. If you can, you should try and smooth off the edges of the chip as much as possible and ensure there is no hagire. If the chips are jagged, it can more easily crack further. You might not need it, but a polisher can clean that up. The most important thing now will be to make sure your grip is correct when you cut. Good tenouchi and shibori. Lock the blade into the cut, use both hands, especially the left, so the blade does not turn in the cut. That puts lateral torgue on the blade and then it is more likely to chip or bend. Good luck Dave!

Regards

Jeremy
    Last edited by jezah81; 6th October 2013 at 10:17. Reason: grammar

Likes (received)

I hope its a new blade? You definitely need to remove the chips if you are cutting with it... it may jam if you misplace the cut with possibly disastrous consequences... I have seen a couple of lovely old blades spoilt by beginners trying to prove they can cut before they have acquired a good technical level, and even technically skilled people can slip up now and again. Not worth the risk of keeping the chips in it.
    Swords are not as indestructible as some people think they are... unfortunately!
    You now have me thinking about looking out the chinese blade I use for cutting, been a while since I had a play at it...
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chidokan View Post
    I hope its a new blade? You definitely need to remove the chips if you are cutting with it... it may jam if you misplace the cut with possibly disastrous consequences... I have seen a couple of lovely old blades spoilt by beginners trying to prove they can cut before they have acquired a good technical level, and even technically skilled people can slip up now and again. Not worth the risk of keeping the chips in it.
    Swords are not as indestructible as some people think they are... unfortunately!
    You now have me thinking about looking out the chinese blade I use for cutting, been a while since I had a play at it...
    The blade is a newly forged blade. When cutting with it lately i have noticed the chipped portion of the blade doesnt come into contact with the target anyway, being so far down the blade. I have smoothed off the edges anyway. Going fine so far

Cheers

David