Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Changing Arts

Likes (received)

Default Changing Arts

Would you be able to give up your training, to begin again in a different art if you were presented with an opportunity to train with a teacher that you have always wanted? I don't mean "man, I have always wanted to train with Sensei X" but instead a teacher who answered your questions and taught in a manner that truly worked for you.

Jeff
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    Would you be able to give up your training, to begin again in a different art if you were presented with an opportunity to train with a teacher that you have always wanted? I don't mean "man, I have always wanted to train with Sensei X" but instead a teacher who answered your questions and taught in a manner that truly worked for you.

Jeff
    Probably. I guess it would depend on the art and sensei. I must admit it is hard to envision that right now as I am with an instructor I want to train in and have invested so much time into this art.
    Tony Urena

Likes (received)

Jeff
    Absolutely. In fact, I did.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

I think the idea of "giving up training" only applies if one has a specific, quantifiable goal in an art: X number of kata, or X level, or whatever. If your goals are to study deeply, then time spent in earnest training is never wasted, no matter what the art. I'm not training in either of the arts I was training in six years ago, and while I wish I could have started both arts sooner, I don't wish that I didn't have those other experiences.

It's not a thing to be done lightly (friendships can disappear, and new teachers don't want to look like they poach students, and there will be Habits from the other art), but neither should one feel compelled to stay in a situation that's not working.

-Beth
    Beth's Buki
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

5. Likes pgsmith liked this post
    Likes (received)

Good question.

Best answer I can give is "maybe."
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.