Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Aikido and Hozoin Ryu

Likes (received)

Default Aikido and Hozoin Ryu

Good day all. I am writing this thread to see if there is an interest. I have been living in Japan for over 3 years now. I study several budo and teach aikido in Nara. When I came to Japan I wanted to write a book based on my experience here. At first I didn't know what to write as I wanted to be original.
    So writing about the sword was not original as a lot has been written and my main Ryu the Soke won't allow a book to be written. Then came the obvious, write about Aikido as I have been doing Yoshinkan for 20 years. The problem lay in writing something original!
    Since I had started Hozoin Ryu Takada Ha spear when I moved here and the main reason for starting it was the connection between Takeda Sokaku and Ueshiba Morihei and their involvement with this school. I wanted to see if they got something from this school that would help their toshuwaza. I believe they did as I sure have!
    So I am in the process of writing a book about Aikido and the spear. I have a lot of help and encouragement from my seniors and Soke of Hozoin Ryu.
    I am curious if anyone in the Aikido community would be interested in such a topic? So I am asking for your opinion on the matter, if you think it would be interesting or not and what you may find interesting.
    Just throwing it out there. Thanks for your time.

Sincerely Reg Sakamoto
    Reg Sakamoto
    a student of applied kinesiology through combatives.

2. Likes pboylan liked this post
    Likes (received)

I don't study aikido, but I like to collect and read books on different arts than my own. So, I would be interested.
    Good luck in your endeavor and keep us updated.
    Tony Urena

Likes (received)

Hello Mr Sakamoto,

Welcome to E-budo.

I am sure there would be some interest in the book you plan to write, but I suppose it depends on what the book contains.

I assume you have read Hidden in Plain Sight, by Ellis Amdur, and so are aware of the various issues he raises.

Best wishes,

PAG
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

5. Likes TonyU liked this post
    Likes (received)

Good day Mr Goldsbury

Thank you for your time. I am very familiar with HIPS. I plan to write on the history of Hozoin Ryu especially at the Nishinkan in Aizu. Easy to do with all the information from this years Taiga drama!
    Then I plan to discuss how Hozoin has benefited my Aikido. Thats the bulk of it so far.

Cheers Reg Sakamoto

Likes (received)

Thank you Mr Urena. I will do my best to keep people updated.

Cheers Reg Sakamoto

Likes (received)

I would be very interested in your research. As a student of Daito-ryu I would also find any history of the ryu in the Aizu han to be interesting. I think a lot of folks have studied the connection between Daito-ryu and Itto-ryu and/or Jikishinkage-ryu but the connection to Hozoin-ryu is far less documented.

Please keep me posted on the progress of your book!

Cheers!
    Chris
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Sign me up. I have always been really interested in Takada ha Hozoin ryu and would love to learn more about it. Where do you live and train?

Likes (received)

Thank you Mr Covington and Mr Judge. I am also interested in the history of aikido/DR and what the big guys studied to round them out. I am lucky to have the help of Ichiya soke and the senior members of the Ryu to help with my research. There is almost nothing on Hozoin Ryu in English, which is sad as it was one of the more popluar ryu in the Edo period and influenced the use of the bayonet in Japan.
    I live in Nara and train at Hozoin's hombu dojo here in Nara.

Cheers Reg Sakamoto