Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Why, and How Do You Practice Self Protection?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Carina Reinhardt View Post
    Richard,
    I just want to clarify one point, I wanted to say, there are not so many real sociopaths.
    And Kudos to you for that free martial classes, that is great !

I know that not everybody wants help, and there are really bad people who just want to hurt.

Fortunately I live in a small island where the biggest problem is GBV. And in Spain firearms are not allowed, just with a permission for hunting.
    GBV?

My father (widow for 9 yrs) has traveled the world drinking fine wines. He was surprised many years ago on a visit, that Spain had some great tasting
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Scardina View Post
    GBV?
    I looked in the translator and it is the translation for violencia de géneros

My father (widow for 9 yrs) has traveled the world drinking fine wines. He was surprised many years ago on a visit, that Spain had some great tasting
    Yes, there are great wines in Spain mainland, and recently also in the Canary Island, in Lanzarote they have a very good and known white wine. The first wine cellar there
    http://www.elgrifo.com/

Likes (received)

Mod - Chris : ) - I wonder if splitting Carina's posts and that conversation off into a separate thread - maybe "Assailant Motivations" or something or other, might avoid further thread drift - worthy discussion, its just more sociological than about conducting training.

I may have misunderstood you Richard. I'll clarify:

Persons who are strangers to a STUDENT, but not to the instructor, and who are known and been vetted by the latter, are very good for training.

I would not use a business, where OTHER strangers who are not involved in the training scenario are at all involved or potentially could interject. I would strongly advise against this, and advise students whose instructors were doing this to politely decline such training.

Now the closed venue with all involved being part of the training is great for added realism.

I confess I am still not following what you are getting at with "legal grounds" with the no firearms signs. A business owner has a right to ban firearms in his own establishment, and to kick you out if you are ignoring his rules.

Likes (received)

Hey Kit,

I aim to please so I'll see what I can do. I agree itmight be best split up. I just got a new modem I have to hook up because it is a pain to try to do stuff on a phone. Once I'm back up I'll take care of it.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

I looked in the translator and it is the translation for violencia de géneros
    IStill dont know??????

Yes, there are great wines in Spain mainland, and recently also in the Canary Island, in Lanzarote they have a very good and known white wine. The first wine cellar there
    http://www.elgrifo.com/
    I will ask him if he is familiar with this brand
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hissho View Post
    Mod - Chris : ) - I wonder if splitting Carina's posts and that conversation off into a separate thread - maybe "Assailant Motivations" or something or other, might avoid further thread drift - worthy discussion, its just more sociological than about conducting training.

I may have misunderstood you Richard. I'll clarify:

Persons who are strangers to a STUDENT, but not to the instructor, and who are known and been vetted by the latter, are very good for training.

I would not use a business, where OTHER strangers who are not involved in the training scenario are at all involved or potentially could interject. I would strongly advise against this, and advise students whose instructors were doing this to politely decline such training.

Now the closed venue with all involved being part of the training is great for added realism.

I confess I am still not following what you are getting at with "legal grounds" with the no firearms signs. A business owner has a right to ban firearms in his own establishment, and to kick you out if you are ignoring his rules.
    Other strangers are NOT involved. We get permission and sign a release for the owner(s)

(BOLD) CORRECT

EXACTLY. Especially if they have a sign posted. I know of a few CCW citizens who insist in "thinking" they still are in the "right" to carry on the premise when being "instructed" not to. The only persons I know, which by legal "right" to carry their firearm "almost" anywhere are LEOs
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

IStill dont know??????
    Gender-based Violence

Likes (received)

sorry to give Mod - Chris more work, I thought you were talking about Self protection

Likes (received)

sorry to give Mod - Chris more work, I thought you were talking about Self protection
    We are.

You are not talking about training for self protection but rather violence, causes thereof, violentization, etc. That is a different subject and I am sure you see the difference. Not that it is not a worthy discussion.

Its just that it is worthy of its own thread.

Likes (received)

We are.

You are not talking about training for self protection but rather violence, causes thereof, violentization, etc. That is a different subject and I am sure you see the difference. Not that it is not a worthy discussion.

Its just that it is worthy of its own thread.

Hi Kit,

I think we just see the things in different forms.

You are talking about self protection in a professional way and about conducting training.

Of course I never trained as a professional, but I train in my Aikido dojo, awareness, mindfulness, fast reaction, our teacher is giving us always exercises to train a strong posture, to become self-confident and I also did a few courses of aikibudo with the trainer of the Galician police, but I sure did not the professional training of self protection you are explaining.

I wanted to explain things from a wider point of view, maybe my words are not enough to explain my thoughts.

The phrase I shared by Takahashi Shihan was because of the phrase and not because of his article what is actually about forgiveness.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

The most important thing to train is to stay calm and reflect on the possibilities, this in tenths of seconds and think that the answer you will get depends on how your approach is, always .

I also shared the story of Terry Dobson, how would you have acted?, I would have opted if possible by the option of the little old Japanese, do you believe that this man was prepared for self protection ? I would like to train that, handle things in that form, not only control the situation, but convert the agressor in a thinking man again.
    (But maybe this solution would not be possible in your country, if the drunk has a firearm.)

We should not sort out people from the beginning, I agree there are very bad people who can not be reformed, but the vast majority is not, so why not trying to train the lesson of the little old Japanese.

I think the psychological factor is one of the most important in self protección, awareness, verbal interaction and de-escalation are good, but the most important to train is to remain calm, self confident and if possible kind.

If you still want to split my part of the thread, sorry Mod- Chris, go ahead, and give it the name you like

Likes (received)

Yes Carina - we see things very differently, though the ultimate goal is the same.

12. Likes Carina Reinhardt liked this post
    Likes (received)

Self Defense has to reflect the environment/culture of the person. Simply one has to concentrate the levels of defense per what the individual is need of per their environment/culture
    Richard Scardina

14. Likes Carina Reinhardt liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3