Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Horikawa Kodo Demonstrations of Aiki-no-Jutsu

Likes (received)

My own interest in this area comes from studying the discourses of Morihei Ueshiba, notably the Takemusu Aiki lectures, and attempting to place his thinking in a proper cultural context. Clearly, there is some overlap here between what he studied with Takeda Sokaku in Hokkaido and after, up till 1936, and what he studied under the direction of Onisaburo Deguchi, from around 1919 until 1935. In these lectures he uses the term aiki numerous times and, unfortunately, there is no reliable English translation.

Whether discussions of Ueshiba's use of aiki should go here, or in the aikido forum, or elsewhere, is something that Cady and I will discuss when the need arises.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

2. Likes Carina Reinhardt liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cady Goldfield View Post
    Yep. Thanks Kit. Sometimes bouncing around between Japanese and Chinese terminology results in mishaps, mainly in the form of hybridized words...

To address an earlier issue, trying to find a universal vocabulary to encompass the same concepts and principles found in the internal arts of different countries, is complicated. Maybe the best way to go about it when discussing, say, Chinese and Japanese arts, would be to use the (familiar) Japanese term and then provide the Chinese equivalent, or vice-versa.
    IMO, it doesn't make sense to insist that certain terms not be used to describe something outside a specific art, even if that something is the exact counterpart in another art. Language should not be proprietary if it helps clarify meaning.
    I dunno - isn't that kinda sorta partly the point? Makes the issue needlessly more complicated than it already is - especially when mistakes are made...

4. Likes Kendoguy9 liked this post
    Likes (received)

I think a key in the issue of Kodokai-derived schools releasing this stuff is that these "inner teachings" in Kodokai are pretty much "the teachings", as it's a school strongly focused in the aiki no jutsu.

What I find interesting is to see Seigo Okamoto sensei doing the things reportedly he didn't understand why his own students do...

Sorry for my english
    No weapons? Not martial.

Likes (received)

I think a key in the issue of Kodokai-derived schools releasing this stuff is that these "inner teachings" in Kodokai are pretty much "the teachings", as it's a school strongly focused in the aiki no jutsu.
    I'm not sure I agree with that, but I guess it would explain why the Kodokai has never produced videos.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Scott View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with that
    Well, it's an educated guess based upon that all the schools stemmed from Kodokai -Roppokai, Muden Juku, Hikarido, Shingiseieikan, Garyuzen Dojo...- invariably seem to revolve around the teaching of aiki no jutsu exclusively, and that if there were clips of Horikawa Meijin doing jujutsu, they would have published them before the aiki ones...
    Last edited by Wakimono; 21st January 2014 at 14:16. Reason: Typo Correction
    No weapons? Not martial.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2