Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Cops shoot surrendering man!? Wait take another look...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Likes (received)

Default Cops shoot surrendering man!? Wait take another look...

Hello all,

This post might be controversial for some. It is also very graphic so take that as a fair warning. Please consider this before continuing further. I hope we can have an educated discussion but I will close the post if I need to.

I have issues with a lot of youtube videos out there because they often show only part of an incident. People don't start pulling out the cell phones until the situation has already escalated, after all if two people are just having a conversation why film that? I also have issues with youtube videos because the comments are often inflammatory for no other reason than stupidity. That being said a more experienced officer brought this video to my attention. Although he didn't phrase it exactly like this he showed to to me as an exercise in "metsuke." I'll admit, it took me a few times to catch what happened and it took him a few times, too.

This video shows the level of skill someone must have to be a police officer and an example of split second, life and death decisions that have to be made any given day. Obviously the picture quality is poor so it makes it hard to see the detail but see if you can pick up on what this suspect does. I'm sure being there it would have been easier to see what was happening.

Let me know how many times it takes before you see what happens. It took me three.

Best regards,
    Chris
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

I testify as an expert in the use of force. I also investigate police involves shootings. Once of the things I try to explain to people is while may be great video only shows you part of an incident, but it doesn't show or tell you a complete story. A camera angle is only one perspective. Without a story, it's only one dimensional.
    Tony Urena

Likes (received)

It took me two viewings to notice though I didn't see the problem until the suspect was already on his back. Third viewing I was more aware of what was happening.
    Al Heinemann
    www.shofukan.ca

Likes (received)

Armchair Quarterback alert! I know nothing beyond what I see on my TV screen.

I was surprised at how quickly the cop in foreground lowered his weapon after the suspect dropped. Wouldn't it have been prudent to keep his weapon raised in case the suspect still had enough fight in him to try again?
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA View Post
    Armchair Quarterback alert! I know nothing beyond what I see on my TV screen.

I was surprised at how quickly the cop in foreground lowered his weapon after the suspect dropped. Wouldn't it have been prudent to keep his weapon raised in case the suspect still had enough fight in him to try again?
    This one has gone the rounds before. I have not seen it confirmed, but my gut feeling is that video is not real. I think its staged, though it shows something to be on the lookout for.

The second officer clearly yells "gun" prior to both shooting the guy.

6. Likes TonyU liked this post
    Likes (received)

...though it shows something to be on the lookout for.
    Yeah, walking into your partner's field of fire (very close to a cross-fire)!

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)