Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hosokawake Dento Niten Ichi Ryu?

Likes (received)

Josh do you have some sort of vested interest in the Ryu?

I'm not commenting any more on the so called validity of groups. I already perhaps commented too much. Whatever these people want to do or call themselves and seek validity by joining some association its fine by me.

One thing for sure is a 'Ha' or 'Ke' (family) is sanctioned by a particular Soke. One doesn't just go off and do ones 'own thing'. I was offered such an opportunity to form my own house when Soke passed on but declined. As time progresses these groups no longer resemble the original. Musashi did suggest 'Without adaptation'. If we are not going to follow that I see little point in practicing. I only have to watch people for a few minutes doing HNIR to see where they are coming from.

It seems to me that the the whole thing is falling apart as Soke's pass on. I will leave the thread open and my comments as testimony to having been stupid enough to get involved in such a thread.
    Last edited by hyaku; 21st March 2014 at 17:53.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by hyaku View Post
    Josh do you have some sort of vested interest in the Ryu?
    No, to be perfectly frank I don't care at all about your ryu. I have an interest in the Nippon Kobudo Kyokai and Shinkokai, and the statements made about them in this particular thread. It's not about the validity of different groups -- my whole point is that the Kyokai and Shinkokai don't wade in those waters.

You say, "The Kyokai only recognize us." My question is, what do you mean by this, given that the Kyokai is not in the business of "recognition", and in any case a glance at their website shows that this statement is not, on the face of it, true?

You reply that, "The Kyokai has a rule of only one group of a particular ryu." Okay, again, a glance at their website shows this to be, on the face of it, not true. They have two Yagyu Shingan Ryu groups, two Hyoho Niten Ichiryu groups, two Tenshin Shinyo ryu groups, two Araki-ryu groups, and that's just going by the names. There is one group called Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, but also two other groups that do Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, and these groups make mention of that fact in their ryu-writeups. Again, this has nothing to do with which group is "valid" or "legitimate" or "the true heir", or any of that crap, nor does it have to do with Hyoho Niten Ichiryu in specific. I'm asking for clarification on the statement of "only one group of a particular ryu", because it seems shaky, and at the least requires clarification.

Then you say, "[The Shinkokai] don't meet yearly any more," which really needs clarification, if not out and out revision, because the Shinkokai meet every year for multiple embu, including the Shimogamo Jinja embu which set off this entire thread.

So, to reiterate, it's probably not possible for me to care less about inter- or intra-ryu politics, or the so-called validity of any group. Hell, in all honesty, if someone said, "Where should I go for the mainline of HNIR?" I would undoubtedly point them to Mr. Iwami's group. My questions and concerns in this thread are purely about the Kyokai and Shinkokai as organizations, your comments thereof in this thread, and any misconceptions that may arise from them.
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, žonne he ęt guše gengan ženceš longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearaš. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

Well you should know HNIR has no interest or does not take part in Embu except Hiroshima and Nippon Budokan except for the fact that is its now held at different venues.

No interest in Politics either.

As you well know any group who can show historical validity, documentation and practice recognized as authentic may be considered as a member. What is questioned is a splinter group trying to join.

I doubt very much if you would be happy if I referred to a Soke as Mr. Yagyu.

Have some respect for your elders! This is Budo.

My homepage is old. I should take it down. Things change........

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by hyaku View Post
    As you well know any group who can show historical validity, documentation and practice recognized as authentic may be considered as a member. What is questioned is a splinter group trying to join.
    A sincere thank you for this clarification.

I doubt very much if you would be happy if I referred to a Soke as Mr. Yagyu.

Have some respect for your elders! This is Budo.
    I would be very happy if, in an English-language context, you referred to Yagyu Koichi as Mr. Yagyu. In fact, I would prefer it. Please do. That is the appropriate way to show respect in that language. If in a Japanese-language context you said 柳生先生, I would take it as polite formality, given that he is not your 師匠. But, given that, I would absolutely not have any problem if you referred to him as 柳生氏, since that is also a polite and respectful term of address when talking about someone, not to someone.

Whatever particular cross-linguistic idiom you prefer for showing respect, please do not impose it on others. Some of us are quite happy and able to demonstrate respect in English when speaking in English, and in Japanese when speaking in Japanese, and have no need to mix or match the two.
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, žonne he ęt guše gengan ženceš longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearaš. - The Beowulf Poet

5. Likes Cliff Judge liked this post
    Likes (received)

Don't be doing that Colin, I'm not done with it.

Kim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2