Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Fiction with characters who train in martial arts?

Likes (received)

Default Fiction with characters who train in martial arts?

I write a suspense fiction series with a blind protagonist who trains in aikido and koryu bujutsu. And I used to read the Ninja series by Eric Van Lustbader, but I do not come across many novels where training in martial arts is a serious undertaking and/or realistically depicted. So I decided to open this thread in the Member's Lounge to see if there are other practitioners who are interested in fiction with martial arts.

If you have suggestions for me, please include a link/ISBN to find the novels.

Likes (received)

FWIW

In "Black Blade", another of Eric Van Lustbader's novels, the main character uses Japanese martial art techniques in fights. I think the art was Aikido or Japanese Jujutsu.

Another series of paperback books that had characters using martial arts was "Phoenix Force" published by Gold Eagle Books in the 1980s. It was a spin-off of the "Executioner" novels. I used to like reading them when I was a teen.

While the theme is mainly military, the characters had training in various martial arts and they also occasionally squared off against terrorists or criminals who had martial arts training too. For instance, in the "Tigers of Justice" title, the men of Phoenix force were sent on a mission against Japanese terrorists who had background in ninjutsu. I just don't know, however, if the descriptions about the ninja techniques and strategies there was accurate. It was a fun read, though
    Hieroteo Villarosa V

Likes (received)

There is a novel titled "Angry White Pyjamas" which was mentioned on the Shorinji Kempo forum a few times. It features a character who trains at a Glasgow University Shorinji Kempo club, which was interesting for those of us who know of the students and instructors of the REAL Glasgow University Shorinji Kempo club. I didn't read it myself, so I don't know if it is any good.

Back in an older age when E-Budo was a lot busier, some of us had some fun writing a joint piece of fiction. There are two threads, one which is the story.. and one intended to be a notepad for the authors to exchange ideas.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA View Post
    There is a novel titled "Angry White Pyjamas" which was mentioned on the Shorinji Kempo forum a few times.
    I think you've got the title wrong: Angry White Pyjamas is Robert Twigger's account of his aikido training in Tokyo. Though some aikidoka might agree with your description of it as a novel. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Angry-White-.../dp/0753808587
    Giles Chamberlin
    http://www.jujutsu.org.uk

Likes (received)

I did a search and came up with the threads that mentioned "Angry White Pyjamas" and Shorinji Kempo. It is a comment made by one of his friends about Shorinji Kempo being a "cult". The threads did not go into the book, so perhaps the Glasgow thing was from another book.
    David Noble

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Martyn, I see from your Member details that you've been visiting E-Budo for many years, so you've probably seen this thread already, but in case you haven't;
    Book Reviews Club

I didn't go through it all, but although most of the books are non-fiction, there may be some in there worth having a look at.
    David Noble

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Martyn, there are quite a few authors who write about martial arts in fiction.

Probably the best of the bunch is written by my friend, Steve Perry (no, not the singer), who wrote the hugely-successful Matador series. These books really set the genre for armed & unarmed combat. The series, in order: The Man Who Never Missed, Matadora, The Machiavelli Interface, The Omega Cage, The 97th Step, The Albino Knife, Brother Death, Black Steel, & The Musashi Flex. If you haven't read these, you'll be hooked instantly. Steve also wrote the screenplays for Men In Black & Predator, so if you liked those movies, you'll love his books. BTW, I do proofread some of Steve's work, & he calls on me for some martial arts background, almost always the esoteric kind. Not surprising from someone who trains in silat....

One book that completely shocked me is The 47th Samurai by Stephen Hunter. I read this book because of the extensive use of swordwork, & other than a couple of waza that I figured were just from another ryuha, thoroughly enjoyed it. The shock came when I found out that Stephen Hunter has never studied iaido, or even handled a katana! Very well-written, & highly recommended.

That should get you started, Martyn.

Ken
    Ken Goldstein
    --------------------------------
    Judo Kodansha/MJER Iaido Kodansha/Jodo Oku-iri
    Fencing Master/NRA Instructor

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

8. Likes TonyU liked this post
    Likes (received)

Barry Eisler's John Rain series...

Likes (received)

Just read in a spanish blog the "treatise on the sword" from The way of the Crane", Legend of the five rings, by Ree Soesbee http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way_of_the_Crane

Likes (received)

Early Remo Williams books were always fun. There is also early John Gilbey.

But you said realistic. Boxing offers some possibilities. For instance, Jack London's short story "A Piece of Steak" is very good. In book length, try W.C. Heinz's "The Professional."

Likes (received)

Being a science fiction fan myself, I enjoyed The Faded Sun trilogy by C.J. Cherryh. Reminded me somewhat of the koryu, taken to extremes.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn van Halm View Post
    ...I decided to open this thread in the Member's Lounge to see if there are other practitioners who are interested in fiction with martial arts. If you have suggestions for me, please include a link/ISBN to find the novels.
    I liked W.D. Norwood's The Judoka. It combines a fictional storyline with the author's own musings about his study of Judo.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Judoka-W-N.../dp/0394482980
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Another I liked, and more of a thriller/suspense/action story, is The Yakuza, an adaptation of the screenplay for the movie of the same name.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Yakuza-Leo.../dp/0446785857

Although not specifically a "martial arts" storyline, one of the characters is a Kendo/Iaido master.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I enjoyed John Donohue's Conner Burke series. The main character is middling college professor and an Itto-Ryu practitioner and, of course, manages to get himself into life and death situations. Fun reads. Donohue is finally releasing another addition to the series called Enzan.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rts%20Thriller

The John Rain series is fun as well.
    Richard Stevens

Likes (received)

Have you read The Wave Man, by Christopher Bates? The ISBN is 981 204 461 2.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan