Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tokyo Police Riot course ???

kagebushi Guest

"Tokyo Police Riot course", i am not sure if this is the correct title. I saw a post about this a while ago. I was wondering if somebody could be so kind and provide me with some info on this. Thank You.

------------------
    Mark Brecht

Likes (received)

I believe that this is the year long course held at the Yoshinkan Hombu Dojo for the police, but it is also open to others. It is an intense training that takes one from 0 to shodan in a year (one is stripped of previous rank for the course) and has a certificate of completion. The police must have rank in Aikido or other art as a requirement, but it is a little looser for others. It is famous now due to the book “Angry White Pajamas” which is one person’s experience on the course. I have no direct experience, but enjoyed the read.

------------------
    -DougWalker

MarkF Guest

It used to be judo, with kendo as an option for the police there, but times have changed...everywhere. I know a lot of police now do karate, and this course in aikido sounds just grand.

------------------
    Mark F. Feigenbaum

Likes (received)

if you go to www.yoshinkai.org you will find the contact information on the course. It is rigorous and not for the faint of heart. There are also some good reviews of the book (AWP) from some of the people involved in the course on aikiweb. There are also some threads on the www.aikidojournal.com BBS. The police part is 9 months long I believe, and it is the kidotai that take it. The senshusei (sp)course is for anyone who applies and is accepted (I'm not sure of all the standards). The two courses run concurently and they also practise together with the kidotai starting 3 months after the others. If you take the year long course, you should come out with at least shodan and an instructors license (that might place you at nidan I think).
    Ron Tisdale

kagebushi Guest

Talking

Thanks guys, i appreciate everybodies help.

i dislocated my left shoulder last week, it might be a bit more serious than it looked at first, so i am out of the dojo for a while, but i am planning to check out this course in future (and share info on e-budo). Thanks again.

------------------
    Mark Brecht

DJM Guest

Unhappy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kagebushi:
    Thanks guys, i appreciate everybodies help.

i dislocated my left shoulder last week, it might be a bit more serious than it looked at first, so i am out of the dojo for a while, but i am planning to check out this course in future (and share info on e-budo). Thanks again.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark,
    I'm sure I speak for everyone in wishing you a swift recovery..
    I have a friend who's dislocated his shoulder a couple times playing American Football (yes, even in the UK!) so I know how nasty it can be..
    Best Wishes,
    David

------------------
    Poetry of Birds,
    A Thousand Voice Melody,
    Dancing on the Waves
    -- David Marshall

Likes (received)

Mark,

I second David's wishes for your safe recovery. Recently I had a surgery which kept me out of the dojo for 3 months so I know a little of what you are going through. Get well soon and please drop in on us in the forum when you feel up to it.

As to your original question: I don't know much about the Yoshinkan Riot Police program but ,while living in Japan, I did have the opportunity to train with a few of the guys who were enrolled in it. Wow, they were some serious individuals who liked to give 100% all the time. One of the gentlemen I trained wtih showed me a thing or two about kotegaeshi that I hadn't thought of before (from a practical/mechanical standpoint). Basically, definately something to check out.

Hope you have a swift recovery,

------------------
    Chad Bruttomesso

[This message has been edited by thebrutto (edited 06-02-2000).]

kagebushi Guest

Thanks guys, i appreciate the support.

Take Care,
    Mark

Likes (received)

Default Mustard Sensei

Hey Kage,

How's the shoulder? I had the priviledge this weekend of training with Robert Mustard S. from the book AWP. 7 hours of intense yoshinkan aikido! It was great! I already had some severe reservations about Twigger's perspective, but this weekend clenched it. Mustard S. is an honourable, knowledgable, sincere individual whose aikido is top notch. His teaching was excellant, and he is very open and honest. If Twigger didn't learn from him, that's twigger's loss.
    Ron Tisdale

Likes (received)

Default Re: Mustard Sensei

Originally posted by Ron Tisdale
    Hey Kage,

How's the shoulder? I had the priviledge this weekend of training with Robert Mustard S. from the book AWP. 7 hours of intense yoshinkan aikido! It was great! I already had some severe reservations about Twigger's perspective, but this weekend clenched it. Mustard S. is an honourable, knowledgable, sincere individual whose aikido is top notch. His teaching was excellant, and he is very open and honest. If Twigger didn't learn from him, that's twigger's loss.
    Ron Tisdale
    Two of my Senior students have twice now attended seminars with Mustard Sensei and felt that he was top notch. These guys are very serious and not easily impressed so I think I'll make it a point to check things out for myself next time he's in the area. We're lucky in that there is a dojo right near by (Seattle area) that seems to be hosting him at least a couple of times a year. Looks like he's in the "highly recommended" category.
    George S. Ledyard
    Aikido Eastside
    Defensive Tactics Options
    Bellevue, WA

Likes (received)

Definately. *Highly* recommended. I was able to record 14 separate, distinct techniques, well taught, focus on the basic movements, moving from the center, proper attitude, strong atemi, good tips for locking wrist, elbow, shoulder, controlling yourself first so that you can control uke. With most of the senior yoshinkan instructors there is something of a language barrier. It was a joy to be able to converse and ask questions directly, as well as to take some good ukemi.

Often, yoshinkan seminars focus almost exclusively on basics and basic techniques. Here I saw variations of almost all the 14 techniques that I hadn't seen before, all of them interesting, and usefull, some of them completely new. I hope you get as much out of his teaching as I did. And he's a right friendly kind of guy, too!

Ron Tisdale

Likes (received)

Hi Mark, it's Jaime hassett, your friend I've been trying to get a hold of you how have you been?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by shinobient View Post
    Hi Mark, it's Jaime hassett, your friend I've been trying to get a hold of you how have you been?
    Hello,

Your post has nothing to do with the thread and the last post in the thread was made by Ron Tisdale was made 14 years ago. If by Mark you mean Mr Feigenbaum, he passed away several years ago. I will leave your post here for a few days and strongly suggest that you post again with some explanation or self-introduction. You can do so in the Members' Lounge.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan