Likes Likes:  0

Thread: understanding aikido

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Likes (received)

Default understanding aikido

Hello,

i am new at e-budo, i practice aikido and i came here because it brings together people from japanese martials arts and culture community, and i am very interested in this community's particular insight.

i have created this thread because i would like to know your point of vue regarding something in practice.

My Teacher is a student of Endo Sensei, and i couldnt understand his style, his perception nor his goal from what he shows us. i feel it might be my narrow mindedness.

i praticed Aikido in morocco, aikikai and Daito ryu, and i had never seen nor felt the difference in both of them, since i thought all aikidos were different depending on practicioners, their viewpoints and experience, and the general message of execution and goal is efficiency and discipline, i think in simple martial tems.

my sensei sees it in a different light, and thus i would love to know what is endo sensei's message through his technic and since i am still learning aikido, i would love to know wether there are many different views of it, the same way for example Steven seagal's practice is somewhat completely opposite to yamaguch sensei's for example, unless i do not see the similarities.

I thank you all for your answers in advance, and hopefully might be able to ask your opinions about other martial matters soon.

Anas Challigui

Likes (received)

Hello Anas,
    We also practice Aikikai style of Endo Shihan, through his students Frank Noel Shihan and Christian Borie, Sensei, I like his style very much, it is about connecting with uke, do the techniques together, it is a beautiful aikido. I think it takes a few years to understand it. If you have the patience, in a few you will enjoy, as I do.

Likes (received)

Likes (received)

Default understanding aikido

Thank you very much Carina for your answer,the video you sent showcased endo sensei's vision of aikido, and it was helpful, especially with french translation.

i have been struggling with a concept in regards to, as my sensei explained, the use of power.

my sensei told me that tori should not use power in aikido, something which endo sensei doesent seem to use. i understand power as being a result of Speed*Weight, in this case you and your opponent, you as tori use uke's power, my question is, should we also as tori use our own power in Aikido in order to achieve quick efficiency and economy of mouvement? like for example Tadashi Abe, Steven Seagal and Morihei Ueshiba in his first years.

Thank you

Anas

Likes (received)

Hi Anas,
    No, it is not about power, it is about motion, imbalance, use the body altogether. But my vocabulary in english is poor and I think it is better if Endo Shihan himself explains
    "Harmony of spirit, skill and body" means that one must try to accord the spiritual and body movements in training. But in practice, even if we think we want to do this, our body rarely follows. "Body" seems to resist "mind"movement; indeed it seems to even confront it. The time I felt this confrontation between "body" and "mind" most strongly was when I moved my body in the consciously thinking of "what I should do" or "what I should be". Therefore, I came to the conclusion that to overcome the confrontation, I must change my approach. In practice, I try not to pursue strength or good performance, and concentrate on the moment, while releasing the force as much as possible. Watching my own mind movement, feeling my balance, and knowing the direction of my next movement from the partner's movement (reaction), I try to set my body in that direction. It is said that the body memory is the strongest. In the beginning, you try this consciously, and continue until you can do it without consciousness. When you can move unconsciously, you can be aware of the movement that arises from "harm ony of spirit, skill and body" which has no opposition between "mind" and "body". And you will find that nothing restricts your movement. "

Please find the whole text here http://info.stiltij.nl/publiek/krijg...ndo-shihan.pdf

Likes (received)

Hi

Just saw the thread and I agree with carina about this and my Sensei is alway talking about positioning and contact. I study under Yoshinkan style of aikido and we are classed as one of the harder styles and I watch different styles of aikido and can see the same technique but only at the end the execution of getting to the technique and wonder why do it that way and it comes down to the philosophy of the founder of that style of aikido. Many of the aikido styles are is beautiful to watch when done but all are no less deadly to the unprepared