Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Koryu Bujutsu Map

Likes (received)

Default Koryu Bujutsu Map

As some of you may be aware I have been working on a map of the honbu dojos of various koryu bujutsu ryuha.

The current version of the map is located here: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/vi...4.kiB5gmcTRnKo

To give credit where credit is due, the idea was brought up by Russ Ebert on the Koryu Bujutsu Facebook group and credits Lance Gatling with the idea a year prior. Guy Buyens then offered his work on traditional schools as a starting point. Found here: http://www.onohaittoryu.be/images/documents/Schools.pdf

Current individuals with administrative rights to the map are myself, Arjan F. Tervoort and Lance Gatling.

These are publicly listed Koryu Bujutsu schools. The map is a work-in-progress. Any mistakes, ommissions or errors are unintentional. Please email updates or changes to haytkir(a)gmail.com

I would also like to adopt koryu.com's warning from their Ryu Guide (http://www.koryu.com/guide/ryuguide.html) for this map.

Please keep in mind, however, that this list is by no means comprehensive. Many of the hundreds of extant classical traditions are not yet listed, so the fact that a school's name does not appear means relatively little. Those that are listed, we can and do "vouch for."
    I am not the koryu police and never will be. My metric for inclusion of a map point as it stands right now is:

1. Is the school a member of the NKK/NKS?
    2. Is the school listed on koryu.com?
    3. Is the school listed as "classical" in Dr. Hall's encyclopedia?
    4. What does this community say about the school?

None of these are absolute deciding factors. However, if there is a pattern one way or another amongst these "sources" I'm going err on the side of the pattern that is displayed. I would like to focus on "undisputed" schools for now and worry about the messy political grey areas of disputed schools at a future date.

Any comments, ideas or thoughts are welcome! Suggestions on additonal sources to consult would be greatly appreciated. I am functional in Japanese so Japanese sources are welcome.

Thank you to everyone who has already provided assistance, information and suggestions!

Likes (received)

Pretty cool.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Likes (received)

No, very cool! Hiden magazine had an annual dojo list for years, but stopped updating it long ago. Some of it is online. I have lots of pointless ideas but people like Mr. Krueger have the smarts to make good things happen. Lance Gatling

4. Likes mkrueger liked this post
    Likes (received)

Matthew,
    In "Budo, the Martial Ways of Japan, a publication of the Nippon Budokan (published for their 45th anniversary) there is a synopsis of 30 Kobudo schools.
    Amongst them Maniwa Nen-ryu Kenjutsu, Kobori-ryu Tosuijutsu, Yamauchi-ryu suijutsu.
    These 3 are not listed on the website, yet they are given attention in this publication.
    I am updating my notes and don't know if I have to label them as member of the NKK. But even so for your exercise this is less relevant because all of them are true koryu.
    BTW in a narcistic way I like the book of the Nippon Budokan because I am probably the only Westerner that is on the pictures of the old schools (page 104, in seiza watching our soke who is doing enbu at the Nippon Budokan in Tokyo).
    I think you don't have Yamauchi Suijutsu
    It seems it is still promoted by the Usuki township, the mayor serves as the organisation's director.
    Probably to hard to include in the NKK enbu without them to have to dig a swimming pool.
    Guy Buyens
    Hontai Yoshin Ryu (本體楊心流)
    BELGIAN BRANCH http://www.hontaiyoshinryu.be/

6. Likes mkrueger liked this post
    Likes (received)

Hello Matthew and Guy,

Maniwa Nen ryu is a member of the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai but not the Nippon Kobudo Kyokai. Given the age and influence of Nen ryu I suppose omitting it from the Nihon Kobudo book would have been strange.

Also (for Matthew), Maniwa Nen ryu is located in Takasaki City, Gunma Prefecture, not Maniwa City in Okayama Prefecture (馬庭 vs 真庭).

The 12 schools of traditional Japanese swimming belong to the Nippon Suiei Renmei (Japan Swimming Federation). http://www.swim.or.jp/

Regards,

Bill Jensen

8. Likes mkrueger, Cliff Judge liked this post
    Likes (received)

Mr. Jensen

Regarding traditional Japanese swimming, are some of them located in Tokyo? I heard of Kubori-ryu but couldn´t find any information when I first tried to look them up.

With best regards,
    Michael Reinhardt
    Michael Reinhardt

Likes (received)

Thank you all for the information.

I have a list of schools that need additional research and two mentioned (Maniwa Nen-ryu Kenjutsu and Kobori-ryu Tosuijutsu) were on that list. I will update my notes accordingly and add Yamauchi-ryu suijutsu.

Likes (received)

Mr. Reinhardt,

There are groups in Tokyo belonging to the Suifu ryu and Suifu ryu Ota ha. Possibly Mukai ryu, too. The Nippon Suiei Renmei (see link in my earlier post) could probably direct you to them. Kobori ryu is based in Kumamoto City.

Regards,

Bill Jensen

Likes (received)

Mr. Jensen

Thanks for the information.

Best regards,
    Michael Reinhardt
    Michael Reinhardt

Likes (received)

Name:  bugeimap.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  67.5 KB

The map has grown to about 150 entries. We started with the honbu dojo, and are slowly adding shibu dojo and keikokai as well. It is still very much a work-in-progress.

With MUCH assistance from Arjan F. Tervoort the map has also been transitioned to a more professional version of Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...c.kqYPpNne7CJk

If you would like to add new entries to this map or to correct existing entries, it only takes a few moments to enter the information on this page.

http://www.koryubujutsu.eu/?page_id=26

The entries from this page will be assessed, coordinates of the location will be added and all approved entries will be added to the map periodically.

Please note that it will be necessary when adding a shibu dojo or keikokai to first look up the appropriate honbu dojo for the style on the map and note the "Reg #" you will need to enter this number to associate the new entry with the appropriate head school.

Thank you to all those who have already contributed!

Likes (received)

Wow!

Very impressive.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

15. Likes mkrueger liked this post