Quote Originally Posted by Gibukai View Post
Hello,

A simple fact is that G. Funakoshi (1868-1957) did not use the term "bunkai" in his Japanese writings. He certainly used the term "kumite" ...

Regards,

Henning Wittwer
What you wrote could be true.... but not sure what your point is....? (I do know he used the term "kumite" and it was clear from his writing that "Kumite" meant sparring... which he didn't support.

The thread points to "What happend with Shotokan Karate?" The OP put's forth Shotokan being based in a practical format, with traditional waza has morphed into something "other". Then thread posters went on to highlight the lack of practical applications being taught from the Kata. ... ala Bunkai..

I don't even know if Nakayama Sensei used the term "bunkai", it's not relavent if he did or didn't (just like "if Funakoshi O-Senei used the term )

CEB wote"
Bunkai is terrible in Shotokan because much of the kata mechanics have been stretched out and been rendered mechanically unsound
I disagree

IMO mechanically "kinetics wise" Shotokan is one of the more advanced Karate and practical. It's been commented many times on the internent how difficult it is for other Karate-ka to do Shotokan , but how relativly easy for Shotokan Karate ka to do other Ryu. Power generation... Shotokan is right up there with the best. Recognisable patterns also... highlighting the art as efficient in the prowess department (ala recognizing "Yea, the guy is doing Shotokan when sparring, MMA etc.. Shotokan pretty much takes the cake on this. Kyokushin Karateka are beast when it comes to kumite, but there Kumite is as flawed as much point sparring is because they do not include the head when striking with thier hands. If MMA is the "gold standandard" for a martial arts prowess (many think it is... I do not, yet will ceed its a good indicator) then Shotokan Karate is the only Karate where one could tell what Karate the practioner was competeing in MMA with. Most couldn't tell if GSP was using Kyokushin, or the "Iceman Lydell using Koei Kan, but everyone knew Machida and his brother was using Shotokan... a Kyu with 6 months could tell.

So I throw out the idea of Kata Mechanics being strecthed and flawed, yet I totally conceded Shotokan's Bogus Bunkai. As stated, I haven't been prevy to bad bunkai, but I've seen plenty on the internet! I've whatched vids where high ranking Sensei guessed like amatures at the applications of a particular Kata. Then to my shock... whatched the "Monkey see, Monkey do" kick in and the garbage got passed on as if it was legit.

How did our kata bunkai get so jacked up? IMO that is the question behind "Shotokan Karate what happened?"

How did experience sensei interpet things like the kiba dachi in Tekki Shodan, Nidan or Sandan as a platform to fight from. the stance gives two giant doors to be pushed or pulled through.. and right now there are vids on the internet were high ranking instructors are teaching standing in kiba dachi and adressing an opponent from there 12-oclock! OMG! What the? Huh? Noooooooo. We see goofy things like this all the time and from serious credible Sensei in Shotokan...

How???