Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What is "traditional" ninjutsu?

Likes (received)

Default What is "traditional" ninjutsu?

I was reading through a thread which referenced "traditional" ninjutsu. At the risk of bringing the crackpots out of the shadows, my question is, quite simply, what exactly is "traditional" ninjutsu?
    シェーンレイトン

Shane Layton
    Bujinkan Shidoshi

Likes (received)

Hi, Shane.

I'm amazed that no one has replied to your question yet!

Surely traditional ninjutsu is stealth tactics/techniques that were actually used by ninjas. I assume everything we do today that is called 'ninjutsu' is some of the stuff that the Booj, Genbu and Jinen include in their syllabus but don't actually call ninjutsu anymore. Most importantly, ninjutsu is absolutely NOT hand-to-hand combat. The h2h stuff that the x kans teach is jujutsu (also called taijutsu).

Was there a ninjutsu tradition? Not really a tradition, was it?

I think your question comes about because people often use 'traditional' where 'historical' or 'original' would have been more appropriate.

Cheers.

Wayne

Likes (received)

Hey Wayne and Shane , I just want to absolutely sure here : I know that Taijutsu is the ninja's hand to hand combat system and that jujutsu is the samurais ( in origin of course). My question is therefore : isn't there any difference at all between the 2? are they are really one and the same? The reason I ask is that Im actually looking for the most street effective system myself and im standing at the crossroads between taijutsu and daito ryu aiki jutsu. I would sure appreciate any feedback or guidance on the matter.

Thanks in Advance!

Likes (received)

I haven't looked at this thread in a long time actually. I was surprised to see anyone had responded, honestly. Hy question was a bit rhetorical, honestly. I've been doing Bujinkan for a little while. Honestly I was just a little tired of seeing "traditional" associated with any art at all, I think people use it as a selling point more than anything else.

Tsujigiri: There are only so many ways to execute a joint lock, or punch or kick, so many targets on the body. They are pretty well covered by most comprehensive systems. The answer to your question, therefore, (in my opinion) is no and yes. You should seek out a competent instructor (which is for you to determine, based on whatever method you choose) and see how you like the class, whichever system you choose. I've never trained in Daito Ryu (but I'd love to some time!!), but I can tell you there can be a world of difference in Bujinkan instructors, even in the same town. Some are really good and some are really . . . . not good.
    シェーンレイトン

Shane Layton
    Bujinkan Shidoshi