Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mizoguchi-ha itto ryu curriculum?

Likes (received)

Default mizoguchi-ha itto ryu curriculum?

hey guys
    i am searching around online about mizuguchi-ha itto ryu curriculum but the only thing i found is that there are 5 odachi and 3 odachi katas! i mean is that it?? nothing more?? O_O
    please tell me ppl if u know anything thx

Likes (received)

The Aizu line of Mizoguchi Ha Itto-ryu (this is the line that survived) consists indeed of 5 odachi and 3 kodachi kata. These kata are quite different from what one can see in other Itto Ryu lines like Ono Ha Itto-ryu and Nakanishi Ha-ryu.
    You can see them in the NKK DVD series on Mizoguchi Ha Itto-ryu. When you look at some of them you can see left right (sayu) tactics.
    The kata are:
    Odachi: do se (土勢), ka se (水勢),, moku se (木勢),, kin se (金勢), sui se (火勢)
    Kodachi: Shin se (真勢), Gyo se (行勢), So se (草勢)

Apparently, there are omote and ura versions.

I don't understand the "is that it" question. Schools are not judged on the number of kata.
    Guy Buyens
    Hontai Yoshin Ryu (本體楊心流)
    BELGIAN BRANCH http://www.hontaiyoshinryu.be/

Likes (received)

thx man! knowing the names is really helpfull. about the question is that it. i mean there are only 8 katas?that is mizoguchi-ha itto ryu? just 8 katas?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    thx man! knowing the names is really helpfull. about the question is that it. i mean there are only 8 katas?that is mizoguchi-ha itto ryu? just 8 katas?
    As Guy said, one doesn't judge a ryu on the number of kata, but on the quality of their kata. Eight kata with depth are better than 1000 shallow kata.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

i know! i am just saying because most ryuha have many!!!

Likes (received)

Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Buyens View Post
    Odachi: do se (土勢), sui se (水勢),, moku se (木勢),, kin se (金勢), ka se (火勢)
    Thanks for sharing. I'm sure it's just a typo, but two of the readings got switched.
    無雙直傳英信流・日本古武道居合研究会 - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu ・ Nihon Kobudo Iai Kenkyukai
    東京蘆洲会 - Tokyo Roshukai

Likes (received)

@inferno: Just the other day you was all about Tennen Rishin-ryû. Now you are researching the Mizoguchi-ha Ittô-ryû curriculum.
    Can we expect some more "research" on other ryûha? Good luck, there are a couple of them out there.

9. Likes pgsmith liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Spinelli View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I'm sure it's just a typo, but two of the readings got switched.
    Typical copy/paste problem. I first wrote the Romaji (and left out the macrons because of the typing effort) and then added the kanji. Should have done it the other way round. Just think that Water and fire got me dyslectic. Ka se however is nihonme and sui se gohonme but thanks for noticing the kanji error.
    Here the corrected version:

The Mizoguchi Ha Ittō Ryū kata are:

Ōdachi: Dō se (土勢), Ka se (火勢), Moku se (木勢), Kin se (金勢), Sui se (水勢)
    Kodachi: Shin se (真勢), Gyō se (行勢), Sō se (草勢)

The school has omote and ura versions of their kata/waza.

Besides the official NKK video, there are many Youtube posts, some of them in black and white, still featuring Wada sensei, also a kendo hanshi (9th dan), who took the initiative to reveal the school for the first time to the public (in 1968 in a demonstration at the to-zai kendo championships in Fukushima). Till then, the school had been kept secretly within the inner circle of its members in Aizu.
    Wada sensei must have been quit a charachter, continuing kendo after WWII even when it was forbidden.
    Guy Buyens

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
    @inferno: Just the other day you was all about Tennen Rishin-ryû. Now you are researching the Mizoguchi-ha Ittô-ryû curriculum.
    Can we expect some more "research" on other ryûha? Good luck, there are a couple of them out there.
    Didn't realize this was shopping Martin. Should visit the forum more often again.
    Guy Buyens

Likes (received)

hahaha he is actually right though ryoma-san :P
    right now i have researched and probably done with mizuguchi-ha itto ryu.
    i have found most of the things about tennen rishin ryu!! i am in i have reasearched it in depth and still havent found everything and it is confusing cause there are 2 lines! i almost finished my research about mugai ryu although there are still some stuff i dont know!
    next is hokushin itto ryu ,shindo munen ryu and shingyoto ryu! since you practise hokushin it would be great to tell me about all the katas you train it would make my research faster! since i only know the gogyo and 3 battojutsu katas! if you dont want to say here just send a pm
    thx everyone btw

Likes (received)

I most certainly will not tell you more about our curriculum as what we already share on our official website.
    You have used a couple of smiley in your post. Therefore I have the slight hope your "inquiry" was not meant to be taken too seriously.

That's all for this matter.

Likes (received)

Ryoma,

How can you not think Inferno is serious of his yearning for knowledge? He has posted on this forum asking humbly for the forums' help. I'm sure the OP is young and quick to change what his/her preferences are, but that does not discount him from him/her having a fair share of information. Would it really be such a problem for yourself to be unable to share any further information? I remember when I was young, how whet our appetites were, as we age…we become more staunch in our views and become alienated to anyone new, or become weighed down by our egos thinking no, how possibly unbelievable it is that one deserves such knowledge…Well I think it's our job to be forthcoming with such knowledge. This is the future of the martial arts that we are cultivating, by how we treat our new interested people. I'm not trying to attack you, but I remember when I was young and how at times I would be swatted aside so casually and dismally. I was naive as any young person is, but it was still a dull hurt, and I wouldn't want anyone to experience that, because I have a fascination with what they have a fascination with, and I would no doubt want to share as much information I can, no matter what my position was or the school I belonged too. So maybe with this post, written at the end of my day, I can maybe persuade you to drop the ego and remember we are all in the quest for knowledge in this together. So who cares, or what does it matter to who, no matter their intentions, the spreading of knowledge is all that matters. So share some knowledge, I'm sure you'll feel better for it, and the OP will be more knowledgeable for it.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett Hiebert View Post
    Ryoma,

How can you not think Inferno is serious of his yearning for knowledge? He has posted on this forum asking humbly for the forums' help. I'm sure the OP is young and quick to change what his/her preferences are, but that does not discount him from him/her having a fair share of information. Would it really be such a problem for yourself to be unable to share any further information? I remember when I was young, how whet our appetites were, as we age…we become more staunch in our views and become alienated to anyone new, or become weighed down by our egos thinking no, how possibly unbelievable it is that one deserves such knowledge…Well I think it's our job to be forthcoming with such knowledge. This is the future of the martial arts that we are cultivating, by how we treat our new interested people. I'm not trying to attack you, but I remember when I was young and how at times I would be swatted aside so casually and dismally. I was naive as any young person is, but it was still a dull hurt, and I wouldn't want anyone to experience that, because I have a fascination with what they have a fascination with, and I would no doubt want to share as much information I can, no matter what my position was or the school I belonged too. So maybe with this post, written at the end of my day, I can maybe persuade you to drop the ego and remember we are all in the quest for knowledge in this together. So who cares, or what does it matter to who, no matter their intentions, the spreading of knowledge is all that matters. So share some knowledge, I'm sure you'll feel better for it, and the OP will be more knowledgeable for it.
    I'm sorry, but this shows absolutely zero knowledge of how koryu arts are promulgated. It's not a matter of ego, it's a matter of how things are done, and have been done for a great many years.

Dave Lowry wrote a great little piece for the Skosses' dojo that I always direct people unfamiliar with the koryu arts to. It sums up the koryu attitude quite well for such a short piece. I think you (and our 'researcher' Inferno) should both go and read it. Doesn't take long. So You Want to Join the Ryu?

Cheers!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

I very much agree with Paul. A Web-site is definitely NOT the place to learn any details about a ryuha.

Go visit a dojo if you want more information than what you can pick up via a quick search.

Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast