Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jun Kina Soken-nu-tonfa Kata

Likes (received)

Default Jun Kina Soken-nu-tonfa Kata

Hi Everyone,
    Victor Smith's Isshin Concertration Blog (great blog I check it almost every day) had an old magazine article which had Jun Kina from Okinawa performing Soken-nu-tonfa Kata. Anyway thought I would check if anyone knew Jun Kina's linage. Before anyone gets confused the person in the article is definitely not Shosei Kina ofUhuchiku kobudo.
    Resoectfully,
    Len McCoy

Likes (received)

Hello,
    My research so far on this is that what is posted on Isshin Ryu concentration blog is part of a two part article from Black Belt magazine running in both the July and August issues of 1969. (If anyone was not aware back issues of Black Belt are up on googlebooks) In the article it refers to Kina Sensei as Shorin Ryu (pretty broad category) and the Uke as Anthony Licalzi. The other interesting thing Kina Sensei's chambered hand when punching with tonfa turns full palm up (thumb side facing away from body) just like a karate punch. Not the first time I have seen this but most people tend to camber the hand palm facing body thumb side up when punching with tonfa. If no one has any insight into Kina Sensei's lineage does anyone have any thought on why some people chamber a tonfa like a punch and some put less rotation into it? Any idea on styles or lineages that prefer one over the other?
    Respectfully,
    Len McCoy

Likes (received)

This article was about Sejun Kina, a student of Hohan Soken and other Shorin-ryu lineages. He is still alive and his organization website is http://matsumura-Seito.jp
    Although listed as teaching Matsumura Seito Shorin-ryu, his system is really a blend.
    I spoke to the Uke in the article, Anthony Licalzi, years ago and he said that in the late 1960's, Iha Sensei of Kobayashi Shorin-ryu, Taba Sensei of Matsubayashi Shorin-ryu, and Seijun (Sancho) Kina of Matsumura Seito Shorin-ryu were sent to US to open a joint Shorin-ryu school in Los Angeles. Mr. Licalzi was the senior student, brown belt. The dojo lasted a short time, Kina went back to Okinawa, Iha moved to michigan, and I think Taba along with Ueshiro moved to New York.
    Hope that helps.

Walt

Likes (received)

Thank you Walt. I was a student of Kise Sensei a long time ago and anytime articles that mention Kise Sensei, Soken Sensei or other Soken students like Kuda Sensei show up I try to pay attention.
    Respectfully,
    Len McCoy