Likes Likes:  31
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Starting multiple martial arts at once

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by hyaku View Post
    Speaking as someone who has taught and practiced Kendo in Japan since the early 1980's it has no self defence values whatsoever. The aim is to strike protected areas. Kobudo is directed "at' those unprotected areas. Having done Karate, Jujitsu, Kendo, Iaido to a yudansha level and licenced in kobudo, kendo would probably be my last choice. If attacked a large piece of 2x2 and a dark alleyway works well. You can do more than one art but you have to spend considerable time keeping them separate and not letting one run in to the other. The better you get the harder that is to do.
    Sorry for me being blunt, but the first aim of a martial art - gendai or old - is to be able to understand your environment and act accordingly using the 'tools' that said art gave to you. It is not the mistake of the art for the lack of understanding shown by the practitioner - sensei in japan or not. It is not Kendo's fault that you did not understood the reasons why kiai exists or the reasons covered behind a posture. This sportification (yes, an invented word) of Kendo is the downfall of this art. Give the practitioner a stick and he will look for a helmet and a glove.
    Last edited by Derzis; 24th March 2016 at 15:11.

Likes (received)

PS "the aim is to strike the protected areas"? Interesting. I thought the aim is to understand timing, distance and breathing while swinging a sword moving, the armor is there as a necessity, not a reason. But you know better I suppose, who am I to argue with a Sensei
    Last edited by Derzis; 24th March 2016 at 15:26.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Derzis View Post
    Sorry for me being blunt, but the first aim of a martial art - gendai or old - is to be able to understand your environment and act accordingly using the 'tools' that said art gave to you. It is not the mistake of the art for the lack of understanding shown by the practitioner - sensei in japan or not. It is not Kendo's fault that you did not understood the reasons why kiai exists or the reasons covered behind a posture. This sportification (yes, an invented word) of Kendo is the downfall of this art. Give the practitioner a stick and he will look for a helmet and a glove.
    This is the first aim of kendo. As my sensei so often says, "if you want to learn self-defence, go learn how to shoot a gun. Kendo is about manners and spirit." Self-defence, it ain't.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

4. Likes cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

That is the copy-cat of the Budo Charter:

In 1987 the Japanese Budo Association was formed to uphold the fundamental principles of traditional budo. Member organizations include the Japan Karatedo Federation, the All-Japan Kendo Federation, the All-Japan Sumo Federation, the Aikikai Foundation, the Shorinji Kempo Federation, the All-Japan Jukendo (bayonette) Federation, and the Nippon Budokan Foundation. Together these organizations drafted the Budo Charter, six guidelines for the preservation of correct budo in modern martial arts:
    (1) Object: The object of budo is to cultivate character, enrich the ability to make value judgments, and foster the development of a well-disciplined and capable individual through participation in physical and mental training utilizing martial techniques.
    (2) Training: When practicing daily one must constantly follow decorum, adhere to the fundamentals, and resist the temptation to pursue only technical skill rather than the unity of mind and technique.
    (3) Attitude: In matches and in the performance of kata, one must manifest budo spirit, exert himself to the utmost, win with modesty, accept loss gracefully, and exhibit temperate attitudes at all times.
    (4) The Dojo: The dojo is a sacred place for training one’s mind and body. Here one must maintain discipline, proper etiquette, and formality. The training area must be a quiet, clean, safe and solemn environment.
    (5) Teaching: In order to be an effective teacher the budo master should always strive to cultivate his own character, and to further his own skill and the discipline of mind and body. He should not be swayed by winning or losing, nor should he display arrogance about his superior skill; he should instead retain the attitudes suitable for a role-model.
    (6) Promotion: When promoting budo, one should follow traditional values, seek substantial training, contribute to research, and do one’s utmost to perfect and preserve this traditional art, with an understanding of international points of view.

That remark about guns is stupid, sorry. Go, learn to shoot and go out with the gun when you do your groceries and family will pay you visits to the jail. If you want to learn self defense, first learn how to not be in situations that will require physical intervention. And if by any means you can's avoid that, end it as quick as possible. And this, ALL martial arts are teaching you. Now, you have to ask yourself is Kendo a martial art or not? Is iaido a martial art or not? And you can find sensei that will say yes, and others will say no. Your choice.

Likes (received)

I just described Kendo but it doesn't mean I dont teach or study other more 'practical' arts. I can assure you if you give me a piece of 2x2 I wont be looking for a helmet or glove. I certainly would not belittle Kendo for one minute as downfall. You should try it some time with the police riot squad and see how long you last. They mix it a lot.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

7. Likes cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

That remark about guns is stupid, sorry. Go, learn to shoot and go out with the gun when you do your groceries and family will pay you visits to the jail. If you want to learn self defense, first learn how to not be in situations that will require physical intervention. And if by any means you can's avoid that, end it as quick as possible. And this, ALL martial arts are teaching you. Now, you have to ask yourself is Kendo a martial art or not? Is iaido a martial art or not? And you can find sensei that will say yes, and others will say no. Your choice.
    You seem to be very certain that you know what you think you know. However, it seems to me that everyone else that has chimed in is pretty certain that you don't know what you think you know. Perhaps you should stop arguing and think about that a bit.

Just a thought.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

9. Likes hyaku, Brian Owens, cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

Your reading comprehension needs work. The ZNKR wrote the concept of kendo in 1975, so if anything the thing you quote is the "copy-cat". It's irrelevant at any rate: the purpose of kendo is not self-defence.

If you want to learn self defense, first learn how to not be in situations that will require physical intervention.
    Absolutely.
    And if by any means you can's avoid that, end it as quick as possible. And this, ALL martial arts are teaching you. Now, you have to ask yourself is Kendo a martial art or not? Is iaido a martial art or not? And you can find sensei that will say yes, and others will say no. Your choice.
    Really? I find no sensei that say kendo and iaido are not martial arts. They are quintessential Japanese budo. The fact that neither of them has relevance to modern self-defence except in the most convoluted of ways doesn't change that fact.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

11. Likes hyaku, pgsmith, Brian Owens, cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

In 1987 the Japanese Budo Association was formed to uphold the fundamental principles of traditional budo. Member organizations include the Japan Karatedo Federation, the All-Japan Kendo Federation, the All-Japan Sumo Federation, the Aikikai Foundation, the Shorinji Kempo Federation, the All-Japan Jukendo (bayonette) Federation, and the Nippon Budokan Foundation. Together these organizations drafted the Budo Charter, six guidelines for the preservation of correct budo in modern martial arts:
    (1) Object: The object of budo is to cultivate character, enrich the ability to make value judgments, and foster the development of a well-disciplined and capable individual through participation in physical and mental training utilizing martial techniques.
    (2) Training: When practicing daily one must constantly follow decorum, adhere to the fundamentals, and resist the temptation to pursue only technical skill rather than the unity of mind and technique.
    (3) Attitude: In matches and in the performance of kata, one must manifest budo spirit, exert himself to the utmost, win with modesty, accept loss gracefully, and exhibit temperate attitudes at all times.
    (4) The Dojo: The dojo is a sacred place for training one’s mind and body. Here one must maintain discipline, proper etiquette, and formality. The training area must be a quiet, clean, safe and solemn environment.
    (5) Teaching: In order to be an effective teacher the budo master should always strive to cultivate his own character, and to further his own skill and the discipline of mind and body. He should not be swayed by winning or losing, nor should he display arrogance about his superior skill; he should instead retain the attitudes suitable for a role-model.
    (6) Promotion: When promoting budo, one should follow traditional values, seek substantial training, contribute to research, and do one’s utmost to perfect and preserve this traditional art, with an understanding of international points of view.

Well judging by your posts and a few other sarcastic remarks to some people who have already achieved high yudansha levels even headmaster of ryu you seem to be a long way from achieving what is suggested by the charter. I attended the actual seminar when this charter was issued to the public in Japanese and English and still have the original document as we were asked to check out the English translation. As the last part (6) states it's for the promotion and preservation of traditional arts. As I mentioned in another post it says BUDO not martial art.

I live in a country where they carry blades on a daily basis that they are very capable of using. I obviously avoid trouble but it's 2016. With the increase in the use of alcohol and crystal meth I can assure you no one is going to politely bow to you before attacking and a gun is the way to go.

This forum is called E-Budo and that's what we do. Best save the martial arts debate for things like BJJ.
    Last edited by hyaku; 24th March 2016 at 16:36.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

...That remark about guns is stupid, sorry. Go, learn to shoot and go out with the gun when you do your groceries and family will pay you visits to the jail.
    Oh really? That's interesting, since I not only learned to shoot rifles at age 12 (in 1967) and medalled in competition, but also learned to shoot handguns in 1975 and to this day I carry on a regular basis...including when I go for groceries. Why would my family have to visit me in jail?

There are "stupid" remarks being made, alright, but they're being made by you.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

14. Likes cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens View Post
    Oh really? That's interesting, since I not only learned to shoot rifles at age 12 (in 1967) and medalled in competition, but also learned to shoot handguns in 1975 and to this day I carry on a regular basis...including when I go for groceries. Why would my family have to visit me in jail?

There are "stupid" remarks being made, alright, but they're being made by you.
    And you have the gun always with you right? And you will shoot whenever you will feel in danger? Nice.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by pgsmith View Post
    You seem to be very certain that you know what you think you know. However, it seems to me that everyone else that has chimed in is pretty certain that you don't know what you think you know. Perhaps you should stop arguing and think about that a bit.

Just a thought.
    With what part you are not agreeing?
    1. You don't have the gun on you all the time and you will go to jail before you will use it in self defence
    2. best self defence is to avoid being in wrong time and wrong place
    3. If you can't avoid, end it as quick as possible

I am asking you because I think that your condescending level is way above your real understanding level.

Likes (received)

And you have the gun always with you right? And you will shoot whenever you will feel in danger? Nice.
    No, I don't always have it with me, but I often do. And no, I won't always shoot any time I feel in danger; only if it is necessary. You are making ridiculous assertions that have no basis in reality.

It is obvious that you are just an Internet troll, with nothing of merit to contribute.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

18. Likes cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

With what part you are not agreeing?
    I am not agreeing with the part where you think you understand what you're talking about. I'm also not agreeing with the part where your think your arguments make some sort of sense or have some sort of relevancy. I'm going to assume that it is a case of English not being your first language rather than going with Brian's assumption that you are simply an internet troll with nothing better to do with your time than argue with random folks on the internet.

P.S. I know a number of folks that are armed whenever they leave the house. It's not a big deal here.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

20. Likes cxt, StephenBaker liked this post
    Likes (received)

Derzis

I hesitate to ask---but are you absolutely sure that you will have a kendo shinai on you at "all times" either?

If not and you think you don't need one because kendo teaches you "other" things.

Then why wouldn't gun training likewise also teach "other" useful things?
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

22. Likes hyaku, Brian Owens, StephenBaker, pgsmith liked this post
    Likes (received)

In response to original question. I study two arts - judo and karate. I find that the two are complementary so training one feels like an extension rather than a difference. No strikes in judo and the club I attend doesn't really train throws or locks for karate and concentrates on strikes so I love the dual aspect.

I'm now considering looking at weapons training to round my studies off. I wouldn't suggest it from the start though. Finding complementary arts is tricky and some just don't go together a make crosstraining a nightmare. In summary it depends on the instructors and the nature of the lessons.

Oh I am also 31 and by no means an expert of anything. I'd say if you want to do it then do it but agree with advice from others. Start one for a year add another wait another year add the third. You may find that the two are covering all you want anyway or that you couldn't possibly find time for a third art

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast