Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Koden Bugei Kyokai

Likes (received)

Default Koden Bugei Kyokai

Hello all,

Does anyone have personal experience with Salahuddin Muhammad of the Koden Bugei Kyokai?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaCO7sNO00E

Regards,

Chris Noelck

Likes (received)

You might want to send a private message to E-Budo member saljaber:
    http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...158#post501158
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

I am revisiting this thread, as I have recently met Salahuddin Muhammad. His art is now called Hontai Hakkei Ryu, and is a legitimate neo-classical system passed on to him by his teacher, the late Okazaki Shuji. It encompasses aikijujutsu, traditional weapons (the system is considered weapons-based, with a full complement of tai jutsu applications), but also high-level aiki which is the engine driving the art; hence, the use of "hakkei" in the art's name.

While he maintains and preserves the formal rei and practice kata of the art, Salahuddin Muhammad has a very pragmatic, non-ritualized, street-savvy approach to martial application. And yes, the things you see in his various videos are real.

Koden Bugei Kyokai, for the record, is the name of the martial-arts research organization that Salahuddin Muhammad founded. Members may represent many other arts and schools, but are also studying the methods of Hontai Hakkei Ryu under the auspices of this organization.
    Last edited by Cady Goldfield; 17th August 2015 at 06:11.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Here is a recent snippet of his work. Not the best video sample of this method-driven, content-rich art, as there isn't a lot of footage that is publicly accessible. Still, it provides a bit of the flavor of the system.

Last edited by Cady Goldfield; 12th August 2015 at 00:52.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

A bit more of the training:

Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

And a little more, highlighting practical application, from a workshop in Atlanta last year:
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Cady, just curious if you saw enough to comment: does everyday training in his system work like one of these seminars, aiki-mode stuff, technique that is demonstrated but not really taught per se, lecture on principals? Or do they have kata, or something different?

Likes (received)

Cliff, he has shared a considerable amount of private material with me, on video, and described the densho of his system. It is a very full and well-rounded curriculum, heavily weapons-based and with formal, traditional kata. Kata and internal practice are the backbone of the system, along with intensive practical applications training. It is quite well balanced. What you see in these videos is the applications side of things, of interest to seminar attendees. I trained with him in New York, a couple of weekends ago, and was introduced to a small number of the kata at that time.
    Last edited by Cady Goldfield; 19th August 2015 at 04:25.
    Cady Goldfield

9. Likes Cliff Judge liked this post
    Likes (received)

What was Mr. Okazaki's background? Daito Ryu, Aikido, something else?

Thank you.

Kevin Tanemura

Likes (received)

Daito-ryu from Kotaro Yoshida, principally, and also trained in some koryu systems: particularly Takenouchi-ryu, and also Tenjin Shinyo Ryu, and Shin No Shindo Ryu Jujutsu. Also, he had a strong judo background heavily influenced by Fusen Ryu.
    Last edited by Cady Goldfield; 26th December 2015 at 02:26.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Thanks Cady. What types of weapons do they train with?

Likes (received)

You're welcome, Cliff.
    Sword, tanto, bo in several sizes (including hanbo and yonshakubo), jutte, yari. As I am new to the system, there are others that I don't know of as yet. You can see some tanto jutsu in a number of his videos, and a bit of bo.

Edit: Also tessen jutsu
    Edit: I am not certain about the origin(s) of the weapons work, but I believe it was from Yoshida Kotaro's family art. Will inquire.
    Last edited by Cady Goldfield; 10th November 2015 at 18:28.
    Cady Goldfield

14. Likes Cliff Judge liked this post
    Likes (received)

Here is a new video clip from one of Salahuddin Muhammad Sensei's workshops earlier this month.

There are a number of video clips of Hontai Hakkei Ryu Aikijujutsu available on the Internet, via Youtube. Most of these are snippets from seminars and workshop events. In the past several months, I have had a number of personal discussions and communications with Salahuddin Sensei, and he has emphasized the point that when viewing the video clips he has made publicly accessible, it's important to note that these workshop videos represent different levels of the art as presented to students at varying stages of their development and to visitors from outside the art. Each event is thus tailored to the group it is being presented to. What's out there does not show the deeper processes of the art (that, being reserved for jikiden -- hands-on transmission/teaching, as it cannot be learned or taught by video or words alone), and it is important to realize that.

Hontai Hakkei Ryu has a definitive curriculum, with each level building upon the last and starting with very basic movements. The subtler material, particularly what is called the "aiki myoden" (teaching and transmission of the internal-power aspects of the art) has several levels and stages as well, and is a different process within the training than the jujutsu techniques that are the external representation of the art. The student's body must be incrementally built up with proper structure and very specific qualities to make it ready for this latter, advanced stage of training.

So, as with everything you see on the Internet, these videos are meant to give a view of certain aspects of the art, some of its applications, and a sense of its breadth. The depth, you have to experience hands-on, as we all know from our own various experiences in our respective arts and disciplines.

Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Sorry but I know this guys history and the reason his system has changed names so much is he has been caught several times in lies. He has no legitmate connection and as such is actually stating so now. His system is interesting but it is not baded in Yoshida Sensei's version of Aikijujutsu. His system Hakko ryu based like just about all east cost Jujutsu. His system is fine but its just wrong to say he has a legitmate transmission. I have no beef with the guy now as his being honest.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by lime View Post
    Sorry but I know this guys history and the reason his system has changed names so much is he has been caught several times in lies. He has no legitmate connection and as such is actually stating so now. His system is interesting but it is not baded in Yoshida Sensei's version of Aikijujutsu. His system Hakko ryu based like just about all east cost Jujutsu. His system is fine but its just wrong to say he has a legitmate transmission. I have no beef with the guy now as his being honest.
    I have personal information that indicates otherwise. As for the evolution of the system's name -- the reason for the changes is entirely innocuous! It is "Hontai Hakkei Ryu" (not Hakko Ryu), which refers to the term for explosive force -- "hakkei" -- the Chinese equivalent of which is "fajin." The system is not Yoshida Kotaro's art, and Salahuddin Muhammad states quite clearly that it is not. Neither is it Daito-ryu, though it most definitely has the genuine aiki from Yoshida. It is authentic aikijujutsu, created by the late Okazaki Shuji from 14 years as a direct student of Yoshida Kotaro, combined with an intensive background in Takenouchi-ryu, Tenjin Shinyo Ryu, Shin No Shindo Ryu Jujutsu, and Fusen Ryu jujutsu. The waza are Okazaki's, developed from those koryu and neo-classical systems, and they are driven by the internal body method/aiki he learned from Yoshida Kotaro. In other words, it is Takeda Sokaku's aiki. In turn, Mr. Muhammad was a direct and close student of Okazaki Sensei's from 1971 until Okazaki passed away, in Philadelphia, in 1991.

People here have only superficial information about Mr. Muhammad, most of it distortions largely perpetrated by a couple of former students who were less than ethical or truthful, who virtually set him up and sought to destroy his reputation. I have read the old E-Budo threads in which a lot of such incorrect information was bandied around, and Mr. Muhammad's (Smith, at the time) responses were both polite and well controlled in the face of the accusations. It looks like people were on a witch hunt. It was in part because of that that I went out of my way to get to know him. I have corresponded with him, met him, and also have met and trained with many of his current direct students, who are very decent people and will tell you that Mr. Muhammad's methods are genuine, and his art powerful, and that he himself is an honorable person and an excellent teacher.

I suggest that people seek the facts rather than give in to the easy lure of uninformed rumors and gossip. Old gossip, at that. Talk to him yourselves, as I did, instead of buying into hearsay, which is the lazy way to make an opinion. Attend one of his demos or workshops. Feel and see for yourselves.
    Last edited by Cady Goldfield; 8th November 2015 at 13:34.
    Cady Goldfield

18. Likes Cliff Judge liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast