Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Go

Likes (received)

Question

Howdy!

Often while playing a game online, I'll ask my opponent how they were introduced to Go. This question has become something of interest to me, since Go is a relatively unknown game in the West.

Whether you play or not, how have the E-budo folks been introduced to Go? That's my question I pose to E-Budo.

Enjoy!

mikehansen

Nick Guest

Mike,

Every year at Stone Mountain, there's an activity called Japanfest, featuring demonstrations from different martial arts (from kyudo to shinkendo to aikido, ad nauseam). I usually go there just for that, but I also like the different things they have there, like the tatami room, japanese food (rare in the South), and different crafts and displays. While walking, I saw people playing an odd game, and picked a sheet with basic rules. That sheet confused the heck out of me, but led me to look for rules and an online server, and I've been an addict ever since. If I may ask, how strong are you and what server do you play on? I might like a game with you, though I'm not very strong (yet).

Nick
    26k KGS

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

Howdy, Nick!

I usually play on IGS; however, I've recently tried my luck at KGS (for about a week now).

I reached a high of 13k on IGS, but have slipped back to 16k-17k lately (haven't had time to play enough, getting sandbagged, rushed games, etc.).

KGS is still trying to give me a rating ... right now it's about 13k? (I think). After playing a few more games, it'll probably place me around 11k. The only problem I've had on KGS is getting cut off a couple of times each game. Sometimes my opponent gets impatient and leaves. I usually don't have this problem on IGS.

BTW, I'm known as "burp" on both servers.

I'm always open to playing a game ... regardless of my opponent's strength. I'll even play handicap games (hard to find on IGS). Should you find me on a server, feel free to set up a game. KGS is handy, since we could review the game afterwards.

Best chance to find me on either server is on weekday evenings (Mountain Standard Time). In fact, goddess_of_go invited me to KGS to visit her WINGS Go club. I believe they meet on Wednesday evenings at 8:00 pm Eastern Standard Time. I'm not a member of the Go club, but you may be able to find me in the WINGS room or the ENGLISH room on wednesday nights MST. Or, I may also be on IGS for a game at that time.

If all else fails, feel free to ask for my e-mail address ... and we can setup a game at a time more convenient to you on any server. Then we can play for sure!

I'm looking forward to playing many games ...

Enjoy!

mikehansen

Likes (received)

Originally posted by burp
    Howdy!

Whether you play or not, how have the E-budo folks been introduced to Go? That's my question I pose to E-Budo.

That's easy - I read about it on a martial arts forum called e-budo.

And yes, I completely suck.
    John McCollum
    Glasgow University Shorinji Kempo Club.