Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is this legitimate? (Fresno)

Likes (received)

Default Is this legitimate? (Fresno)

I have been wanting to study Kenjutsu and came across a place nearby. It looks legitimate, but I have no experience and cannot visit at the moment. It is called Dojo of the West Wind in Fresno. It teaches Kenjutsu, Iaijutsu, and Aikijutsu. Does anyone have any experience with this place or any input? Here is the website: http://www.fresnoaikijujutsu.com/
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    S. Lord

Likes (received)

Welcome to e-budo Shaina,
    This dojo is teaching Nami Ryu. This art is James Williams' amalgam of the arts he has studied. Having not studied it, I can't say whether it is effective or not, but Mr. Williams has studied with some very good instructors. It is NOT a traditional Japanese art, although I believe he follows a lot of the traditions of the koryu. The only other Japanese sword art that I know of in Fresno is Morinaga-ha Toyama Ryu.

My advice would be to go and check it out for yourself, and see what it is like.

Cheers,
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by pgsmith View Post
    Welcome to e-budo Shaina,
    This dojo is teaching Nami Ryu. This art is James Williams' amalgam of the arts he has studied. Having not studied it, I can't say whether it is effective or not, but Mr. Williams has studied with some very good instructors. It is NOT a traditional Japanese art, although I believe he follows a lot of the traditions of the koryu. The only other Japanese sword art that I know of in Fresno is Morinaga-ha Toyama Ryu.

My advice would be to go and check it out for yourself, and see what it is like.

Cheers,
    Thank you for your input. I will go as soon as I can make time. What is your opinion of Morinaga-ha Toyamu Ryu? Also, if you have any recommendations for sword arts anywhere else in central California, I would be very grateful.

Thank you,
    S Lord

Likes (received)

Toyama ryu is an interesting art that does a lot of tameshigiri, but I'm more familiar with the Nakamura branch than the other two branches. The only other sword arts that I know of in the Central California area are the Senkakukan dojo up in Sacramento or Bakersfield budo down in Bakersfield. Both are great dojo and I highly recommend them both.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"