Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Announcing the Publication of Old School, an Expanded 2nd Edition

Likes (received)

Default Announcing the Publication of Old School, an Expanded 2nd Edition

I'm happy to announce the publication of Old School: Essays on Japanese Martial Traditions - Expanded Edition.
    From the publisher:
    Koryū, literally, ‘old flow from the past,’ refers to Japanese martial traditions that predate the sweeping cultural changes that followed the Meiji Restoration of 1868. They generally have a very different character and tone from modern martial arts, such as kendō, judō or aikidō which followed. More than the study of antique weapons, self-defense or a form of athletics, these martial traditions are a cultural legacy and a window to another time and place.

In the first edition of Old School, Ellis Amdur, a renowned martial arts researcher, and himself an instructor in two different surviving koryū, gave readers a rare glimpse into feudal Japanese warrior arts, both as they were in the past and as they live on today. Nearly a decade later, he returns to the subject in this new, greatly expanded edition, bringing readers inside the dojōs of a number ancient schools, providing details analysis of the evolution and morphology of uniquely Japanese weaponry, addressing the myth and reality of Japan's naginata-wielding warrior women, and discussing the modern relevance of the blood oaths, magical ritual and mysticism that often permeate the koryū. Finally, he looks at the challenge of preservation and transmission, especially as more and more practitioners of the koryū exist outside of Japan itself.

Writing with a combination of the initiate’s passion for his subject, and the scientist’s rigorous search for the truth, Amdur asks critically: do the ancient traditions still meet the objectives of their founders? Are they successfully passing their ancient legacy down to the next generation?

Over a third larger than the first edition and filled with new artwork and photography, Old School: Japanese Martial Traditions Expanded Edition will be an invaluable addition to the library of old readers and new alike.

2. Likes Harlan, pgsmith, Dean Whittle, mkrueger liked this post
    Likes (received)

Thanks for the heads up Ellis. Of course, it came just a little late for me to put it on my Christmas list ....
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Order placed, I look forward to reading it.

With respect
    Dean Whittle
    Sydney, Australia
    www.ninjutsuaustralia.com

Likes (received)

Default Questions???

Thank you. If you - or anyone else - has questions about anything in the book, please feel free to post them in this sub-forum.

6. Likes Dean Whittle liked this post
    Likes (received)

Hello Ellis,

I have just ordered a signed copy of the book. Actually, the shipping costs were more than the price of the book. So please sign it nicely.

Best wishes,

PAG
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Likes (received)

Ellis,

I had an ex-mail exchange with the publisher and enquired when I could expect to receive it. The response was not what I expected, since it was not clear whether the book was yet actually in stock. With Amazon, it is very clear whether the book is in stock or not and this usually influences the mailing charges I select. Perhaps I have grown too accustomed to the high standards of Amazon.co.jp.

Anyway, I look forward to receiving it.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Peter - it is in stock. And should be shipping out or already shipped.

Ellis

Likes (received)

Hmm - I placed an order on the third of Jan and am yet to receive it..

I received an email on Jan 5 saying my 'order was back ordered' whatever that means.

Also FWIW to anyone - there is a discount of $10 off the ebook to purchasers of the hard copy. I grew tired of waiting and emailed asking about that discount, where I could obtain a discount code etc, having purchased the hard copy, and was told the ebook must be ordered at the same time as the book in order to obtain the discount.

In the end I gave up and purchased the ebook for the full price - a wonderful book and well worth the price, I was planning on posting a small review when I have the time. Great job Mr Amdur!

Likes (received)

After ordering the book on NYE, I've received an email today that it has been shipped, so hopefully it will make it's way Down Under shortly.

With respect
    Dean Whittle
    Sydney, Australia
    www.ninjutsuaustralia.com

Likes (received)

Nice - cheers mate; having bought the ebook I'm in no real rush, I figured it will arrive sometime

Likes (received)

Why the delay? The book was at the printer and 100 advanced copies already in hand (digital). The off-set bulk printing was at the front of the queue when we found an error. Some mistakes are misprints, but this one - even though a single error of a few words, was serious enough that we stopped the print run - thankfully catching things the day before. It was a simple matter to edit the proof, but the printer specializes in academic texts, due for school year, and we were bumped to the back of the queue. Those who purchased the signed copy in advance therefore got the notice of a 'back-order.'
    Which is now resolved. Thanks for everyone's patience. And for those who weren't particularly patient, for your forbearance.

Best
    Ellis Amdur

15. Likes Dean Whittle liked this post
    Likes (received)

I just wanted to give Freelance Academy Press recognition. I live in a area with unique delivery challenges and they took it upon themselves to upgrade my shipping at no additional cost to myself to ensure that my shipment arrived safely.

That's quite a respectable step for them to take and have earned significant customer loyalty for it.

Likes (received)

The signed editions have all sold out. Both bound and e-book versions are available. Of course, we are beginning to find all the typos that slipped by both ourselves and our editor/readers. Furthermore, I continue to get new information on a variety of subjects. So we intend to have a page up on the publisher's site to post errata (which will be corrected in the next print run) as well as new information as it turns up.

Likes (received)

Mr. Amdur, this book is awesome. I have received my signed copy and read it cover to cover twice! I also loved the first edition. The update and expansion really provided a ton of material for deeper consideration. I am now trying to figure out how to ask the right questions "inside" to follow up on your observations. Thanks again for such a great resource.

Stephen Baker
    Stephen Baker

"Never cruel nor cowardly, never give up, never give in." Doctor Who

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast