Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Police Protester Undergoes Force on Force Training

Likes (received)

Default Police Protester Undergoes Force on Force Training

Likes (received)

Just posted it on Facebook. More people should take that training.
    Tony Urena

3. Likes Tripitaka of AA, mkrueger liked this post
    Likes (received)

Thanks for that one Kit!
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Hats off to the police chief. Can we now get internal affairs and politician's to go through it and maybe offer more informed support?

My brother was off duty and walked into a bank robbery, stopped it, killed a guy and then was grilled by the brass. A student of mine (NYPD) showed me that the NYPD in fact arrived on scene and saved Eric Garner's life a few months before the tragic ending.
    Anyone ever look at the stats for how many arrests were done and went smoothly for all concerned and what small percentage ended badly?
    Most people really have no Idea what Police guys go through. Showing them, is a great start.

I was recently profiled and stopped in a small village in the Netherlands and the officer reached back and almost drew down on me when I went for I.D.
    I was frisked and placed in the car, even after offering global I.D. (FBI and Interpol credentials).
    Instead of being mad at him. I complimented how he handled, me, the scene (there were moms and kids present) and he drove me home-even though I never want to go back to that town ever again. Turns out I was "profiled" for dressing like Russian mob guys who had been casing and robbing three towns.
    That cop was assertive and professional, and I - largely due to having family and friends as cops, judges and state and federal prosecutors- I was respectful and compliant.

I thank police on a regular basis and acknowledge how difficult their job is. I do wish we offered them better training and support; verbal de-escalation, profiling, senior support and training time... and I am sure many other things I am unaware of, but we should be providing

I just posted this on my own FB page.
    Last edited by Dan Harden; 9th January 2015 at 18:35.
    Dan
    [url=www.bodyworkseminars.org][COLOR=#B22222][B]Ancient traditions * Modern Combatives[/B][/COLOR][B][/url] [/B][COLOR=#B22222][/COLOR]

6. Likes TonyU liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harden View Post
    Hats off to the police chief. Can we now get internal affairs and politician's to go through it and maybe offer more informed support?

My brother was off duty and walked into a bank robbery, stopped it, killed a guy and then was grilled by the brass.....
    "The only profession that eats its own."
    Ed Boyd

8. Likes TonyU, mkrueger liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    "The only profession that eats its own."
    Boy, that quote sounds familiar.
    Tony Urena

10. Likes CEB liked this post
    Likes (received)

Sensei said he retired because of all the internal political bull shit and dealing with other cops. Retirement had nothing to do with dealing with the criminal element. He said you always knew where you stood with the bad guys.
    Ed Boyd

12. Likes TonyU liked this post
    Likes (received)

The more this goes viral the better, I've heard the gentleman is back pedaling a little now from his reaction here. Great story Dan and agreed re: trainjng- I think an adapted budo has a role there.

14. Likes TonyU liked this post
    Likes (received)

Our chief is pretty big on soft skills considering our client population. We get a trainer from the Verbal Judo Institute to do a one day seminar for all of our new trainees. We open it up to any agency who wants to attend at no cost so we tend to have a lot of officers from smaller local departments attend and a lot of corrections officers, too. I was at a 7-11 and I over heard an officer say "If people knew how to communicate I'd be out of a job." Truer words have never been spoken.
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

16. Likes mkrueger liked this post
    Likes (received)

Chris

Cool. All we get is a day with some big crazy dude named Amdur...

18. Likes mkrueger liked this post
    Likes (received)

I was going to mention, Ellis. His thoughts and experiences with the professional community are pretty significant. It's nice for professionals; LEO, EMT, ER and mental health staff (potential budoka?) to have other tools at their disposal before violence, perhaps that can prevent violence.

I know in my simple world of presentation, perpetration was key but not enough Taking courses to learn verbal skills and reading a room have led me to a successful career getting projects approved. So much so, I took the course twice.

With lives on the line.... How much important more to be prepared, and have access to good tools where available. The public needs to know they exist and be willng to pay more for personale to be trained and treated better.
    Dan
    [url=www.bodyworkseminars.org][COLOR=#B22222][B]Ancient traditions * Modern Combatives[/B][/COLOR][B][/url] [/B][COLOR=#B22222][/COLOR]

Likes (received)

Certainly the vast majority of time no force is used, or minor force is used. In my experience tactically proficient individuals are also able to quell violence that likely would have occurred due to this experience. Not always, though.

The thing is we live in a day and age of Ferguson and New York, and Lakewood and Paris, France. The police cannot be at war with the people but some of the people are at war with the police, or at the very least full of hatred. And very few people taking sides understand all the ramifications, which is why videos like this one are important. I have more thoughts on it but maybe better in a different thread.

Likes (received)

The largest local police agency in my area sometimes runs business and civic leaders through modified force options training scenarios. Not sure if this is regular practice with other agencies but it seems well-advised to me.
    Al Heinemann
    www.shofukan.ca

Likes (received)

Slight tangent but another interesting piece to share with non-police and even with cops:

http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2014/12/18/...rom-all-sides/

This guy was a former rapper and protestor who decided one day, while at a demonstration against a violent incident, that he needed to step up and do police work since no one else that attended the protest he was at would likely step up themselves. He became a cop and he is now performing in a play that he wrote which shows a police shooting from 17 different perspectives.
    Al Heinemann
    www.shofukan.ca

Likes (received)

Interesting Al - you seen it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast