Likes Likes:  3

Thread: New name for our dojo

Likes (received)

Default New name for our dojo

Hello all,

I just thought I would share the new name for our Daito-ryu study group here in Baltimore. We were calling ourselves the Hawk Cove study group. We rent a BJJ school on off days; the school is near a body of water called Hawk Cove. We thought it sounded good. I asked Kondo sensei about a better dojo name and suggested 龍尾館 Tatsuokan meaning Dragon Tail Hall. It is a reference to Sun Tzu's Art of War and the dragon on the mountain. If you attack the dragon's head the tail will strike you. If you attack the tail the head will bite you. If you attack the body the tail strikes you as the head bites you. It is also a Jikishinkage-ryu kata called Ryubi of the same origin. Sensei said, even on such a lofty and longed-for animal you must aspire to a point higher than the lowest part. With that he suggested 龍頭館 Ryuzukan (also read Ryutoukan) meaning Dragon Head Hall. I think it sounds much better, keeps the original intent of the name and aspirers to a higher goal for our training. I'm not sure we live up to such a powerful name but we will train hard to earn it.

Gambatte!
    Chris
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

2. Likes mkrueger, Cliff Judge, gquaresma liked this post
    Likes (received)

A good name is "Pine Forest Lodge Academy" Or "Pine Forest Academy".
    It's a humble name with a homage to Zen. The names reflect deep meditation for a school of thought in a Pine Forest to gain knowledge and fortitude until you're strong enough to leave the forest and face the challenges of the World.