Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Hello from a newbie

Likes (received)

Default Hello from a newbie

Hi All,

Over the years I’ve found some very interesting and informative threads on this forum, but I’ve only just now decided to advance beyond the lurking stage.

I “retired” a few years ago from practicing and teaching traditional jiu-jutsu and karate-jutsu in order to focus on dance, both teaching and performing (I was a dancer before I was a fighter, plus a nasty training injury had seriously cramped my style). J-J, K-J, and, of all things SUMO, are excellent complements to dance, and I still drill some of the movements and techniques. I also teach a fitness class based on sumo conditioning exercises.

I’m a certified FAST Defense coach – although currently without a working team – having trained under the founder, Bill Kipp, who is nowhere near as mean as he looks!

The moderators deserve a huge "thank you" for keeping this forum so civil. I look forward to exchanging ideas and being part of the E-Budo conversation!
    H. O'Donovan

"If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat." (Douglas Adams)

2. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

Hello,

Welcome to E-Budo.

E-Budo has quite a long history and there us much information in the archived threads.

Best wishes,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Hi Helga,

I've seen some of your shiko videos. You have a very graceful shiko like Takanohana. Welcome to the forum. I hope you can share some thoughts about sumo taiso in the Sumo section!

Cheers,
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Thank you, Chris. I would love to share some ideas and observations about sumo taiso, the first being that it is an excellent form of conditioning no matter which martial art you practice!
    H. O'Donovan

"If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat." (Douglas Adams)