Over the past several years I have been implementing a training program for our team that is aimed at enhancing close quarters officer survival. This is my personal "recipe" based on different programs disciplines I have been involved in, especially Extreme Close Quarters Concepts and Arrestling, combative sports and martial disciplines I have studied over the years. I have integrated some kogusoku from traditions I have learned, but I don't couch it in classical terms - I translate it for the modern context. In some cases there is very little adaptation needed.

Yesterday had an opportunity to run a drill where a full spectrum use of force response to a problem, solo officer, in which a variety of members with varying levels of experience and exposure to what we've been doing were assessed. There were a variety of responses from different operators but within the spectrum of teaching.

It should be noted that while these officers are highly motivated, generally quite fit, and overall proficient in tactics and decision making, the level of exposure they receive in the enhanced close quarters package has been 2-3 sessions a year for several hours each only. Those trainings have focused on a few kata that are most important, in this case to the armed and armored operator carrying a long gun.

The basic kata that are trained, that build upon one another are:

Consistent drawstroke with sidearm regardless of whether the threat is in contact or twenty meters away.

Long gun weapon retention and transition to sidearm.

Transition to belt- or chest- mounted edged weapon.

Hand Control and Clinch Basics for the weapons-based as opposed to the combat sport environment.

Ground Survival for same.

That's pretty much it. Drawstroke is trained cold and on the range live fire. Clinch was trained first "slick" (no armor or weapons) then with armor and sidearm and drawstroke integrated, then with long gun integrated, then with edged weapon integrated. Ground is trained the same way.

They have NOT done much equal armament stuff yet: most of what has been taught is relevant to what is likely to happen: weapon retention with long gun and/or handgun. We have done some close distance work with unequal armament: example - operator with long gun makes entry, muzzle of long gun is controlled by suspect who then begins stabbing with a knife or produces a handgun, or also attempts to disarm operator's handgun.

Drills have been done from cooperative kata to progressive levels of force on force resistive grappling. Contextual elements are added in entry and other use of force scenarios that include marking cartridges, which brings in a new facet: malfunction clearance under duress at contact distance. Due to this group's facility with firearms that aspect has only seen limited instruction.

The problem solved in this case was addressing a contact weapon threat with a rifle, rifle malfunctioned and due to interval is grabbed with the muzzle averted, and a full force on force fight ensues. If exposed to the threat a disarm of the handgun was also attempted and this occurred in a few cases from the holster and in others in hand. One operator used a knife as he controlled both rifle and handgun from disarm attempts.

I was pleased with the results; some guys that have been around the longest and seen the most of this material (a few sessions a year over the past two - three years) are embodying the primary elements and either establishing position of advantage for eventual control (at times with no use of lethal force), position of advantage disengage to weapons access, or achieving enough of a positional advantage to access weapon as a force multiplier: responses were full spectrum and included striking.

My observations were that a relatively small curriculum with a paucity of efficient techniques, with clearly established technical touchstones, an emphasis on physical organization as a foundation, and that are adaptable across the demands of a varied platform are a good way of inculcating effective combative skills even without a great deal of repeat exposure. With more exposure, skill level and efficiency can increase, but the basics remain the same.