Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: USA and Guns

Likes (received)

Default USA and Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Hissho View Post
    Good video from LASO on citizen response to active shooter:

http://www.governmentvideo.com/artic...g-video/115412
    Very sad that "there are an average of 20 mass shooting events in the U.S. every year." Does it not make reflect you about the easiness to buy and own firearms in US ? It is kind of strange, in the US you buy alcoholics in a special store only for adults(here you can buy them in every supermarket, yet children are not allowed to buy them), but everybody can buy firearms everywhere, very sad

Likes (received)

"It is kind of strange, in the US you buy alcoholics in a special store only for adults(here you can buy them in every supermarket, yet children are not allowed to buy them), but everybody can buy firearms everywhere"

Your ignorance about buying guns in the USA is understandable, given the lies spread by anti-rights propagandists, but it is still ignorance. Try doing some research.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Carina Reinhardt View Post
    Very sad that "there are an average of 20 mass shooting events in the U.S. every year." Does it not make reflect you about the easiness to buy and own firearms in US ? It is kind of strange, in the US you buy alcoholics in a special store only for adults(here you can buy them in every supermarket, yet children are not allowed to buy them), but everybody can buy firearms everywhere, very sad
    On average 28 people die from drunk driving everyday in the US. In 2011 there were 1.2 million people arrested for drunk driving. I'm not sure what your experience in the US is but it is far more difficult to buy a gun than you think. I can't speak for every state but in Maryland people who want to purchase a firearm must go through a background check by State Police, get a license and wait 7 days before taking possession.
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens View Post
    "It is kind of strange, in the US you buy alcoholics in a special store only for adults(here you can buy them in every supermarket, yet children are not allowed to buy them), but everybody can buy firearms everywhere"

Your ignorance about buying guns in the USA is understandable, given the lies spread by anti-rights propagandists, but it is still ignorance. Try doing some research.
    Ok you need a guns permit, but if you cannot get it, you go to a lawyer for ex in NY to John Randazzo and he gets one for you.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kendoguy9 View Post
    On average 28 people die from drunk driving everyday in the US. In 2011 there were 1.2 million people arrested for drunk driving. I'm not sure what your experience in the US is but it is far more difficult to buy a gun than you think. I can't speak for every state but in Maryland people who want to purchase a firearm must go through a background check by State Police, get a license and wait 7 days before taking possession.
    Ok then you wait 7 days or more, the main thing is that you get it, killers have time.

Likes (received)

Ok then you wait 7 days or more, the main thing is that you get it, killers have time.
    Might want to watch this video. It'll help put things in perspective for you about the US and guns.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=806713486044197

Likes (received)

Chris can we split off the "US and Guns" discussion, to either Firearms or a forum more appropriate to politics? I'd prefer this thread stay about practical matters when facing an active threat situation.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by WVMark View Post
    Might want to watch this video. It'll help put things in perspective for you about the US and guns.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=806713486044197
    Mark will you really compare the US with so called countries of the 2nd or 3rd world?
    Of course Mark, I agree with that "Maybe its the people holding the guns", still it is sad and I wouldn't compare these deaths with other accidents like drunk driving, (we lose our driving license if we drive drunk).
    It is sad and it could be prevented, making the ownership of guns more difficult, like to pass some psychological tests or kind of that, if people really have to own a gun. I don't think so, there are the police and trained people to protect citizen.

Likes (received)

Kit, agreed. Hey guys I know this is a hot button issue with folks making valid points on both sides. Please continue this conversation in this thread instead of the personal protection thread. I think everyone has been very respectful and professional to this point and I'm sure it will stay that way. Thanks!

Chris
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

10. Likes Carina Reinhardt liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kendoguy9 View Post
    Kit, agreed. Hey guys I know this is a hot button issue with folks making valid points on both sides. Please continue this conversation in this thread instead of the personal protection thread. I think everyone has been very respectful and professional to this point and I'm sure it will stay that way. Thanks!

Chris
    Indeed - my only interest was not derailing the other thread - I've been very pleased with how even the debates and disagreements are going here.

Likes (received)

Mark will you really compare the US with so called countries of the 2nd or 3rd world?
    Of course Mark, I agree with that "Maybe its the people holding the guns", still it is sad and I wouldn't compare these deaths with other accidents like drunk driving, (we lose our driving license if we drive drunk).
    It is sad and it could be prevented, making the ownership of guns more difficult, like to pass some psychological tests or kind of that, if people really have to own a gun. I don't think so, there are the police and trained people to protect citizen.
    There are a lot of things you're missing.

1. The courts in the US have ruled that it is NOT the duty of the police to protect citizens. That saying you see "To Protect and Serve" is a slogan.

2. Response time with Law Enforcement is 99% after something has happened. That means the only person you can rely upon to protect yourself and family is ... yourself.

3. Concealed Carry Holders in the United States are THE, let me say that again, THE most law abiding group bar none. Not the police nor the politicians.

4. Murderers, rapists, thieves, etc all have shown that they do NOT obey the law. Gun control laws do not affect them, only law abiding citizens which disarm them and take away any chance of defense.

5. Studies show that women who were attacked fared far, far better when they were armed with a gun than those that had no gun. Those without a gun to protect themselves had a much higher rate of being harmed or hurt or killed.

6. Studies show that there are anywhere between 70,000 and a million defensive gun uses in the US every year to save lives.
    Look at one website that has a map of defensive gun usages.
    http://gunssavelives.net/incident-map/

7. To end. Certainly not the last nor the least but the US has a Constitution and a Bill of Rights. The Second Amendment guarantees our Right to keep and bear arms. (Which, of course, does contain strict limits to keep hands out of the insane, felons, etc).

Mark

Likes (received)

But there's no "waiting period" or "background checks" for alcohol, so your previous statement -- "in the US you buy alcoholics in a special store only for adults...but everybody can buy firearms everywhere" -- is already proven false.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

14. Likes Carina Reinhardt liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens View Post
    But there's no "waiting period" or "background checks" for alcohol, so your previous statement -- "in the US you buy alcoholics in a special store only for adults...but everybody can buy firearms everywhere" -- is already proven false.
    Of course, but we are talking about completely different things, these were just examples of your culture, I have more, but you would find again things to defend your culture

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by WVMark View Post
    There are a lot of things you're missing.

1. The courts in the US have ruled that it is NOT the duty of the police to protect citizens. That saying you see "To Protect and Serve" is a slogan.

Mark
    Hello Mark,

Is it true? I find this statement very disturbing, especially coming from a court. Of course, it is not possible to ensure the maximum security for citizens (the rate one police officer/one citizen is obviously out of the question) but nevertheless, there are still moments (and that is fortunate) in which the felons are caught in the act. I guess that arresting somebody and thus preventing him/her from commiting crimes could be considered as active protection to the citizens?!!!
    Deception is one of Kenpo´s best technique.

Väck ej björnen som sover

Raphael Deutsch

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Raff View Post
    Hello Mark,

Is it true? I find this statement very disturbing, especially coming from a court. Of course, it is not possible to ensure the maximum security for citizens (the rate one police officer/one citizen is obviously out of the question) but nevertheless, there are still moments (and that is fortunate) in which the felons are caught in the act. I guess that arresting somebody and thus preventing him/her from commiting crimes could be considered as active protection to the citizens?!!!
    Raff

Courts have ruled that it is not the duty of the police (the government) to protect the individual citizen, unless a duty is somehow otherwise created. This is basically serves to prevent lawsuits due to extended response times, etc. "when seconds count, the police are minutes away" sorta thing. They can't be responsible to you as an individual, they are not your personal bodyguard, because it is simply unworkable.

You call 911 to have the police come because a guy is kicking down your door. But there was just a major drunk driving accident and a shooting on the other side of the city and the five cops working tonight are all busy. Its going to take a while for the cops to get there...

Joe goes out, gets drunk, is contacted by an officer that learns that though Joe is drunk he is certainly not gravely disabled, the officer releases him to walk home and he jaywalk and gets hit by a car. In the US, many think it is of course the officers fault that Joe got hit by a car, so the individual officer and the agency he works for is often sued over things like this.

But in general, and when the police can do so, they will do what they can to Protect a citizen that calls for help.
    Last edited by Hissho; 17th February 2015 at 14:39.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast