Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Running A Home Dojo....

Likes (received)

Default Running A Home Dojo....

I would like to hear some input on this...
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Chambers View Post
    I would like to hear some input on this...
    Incorporate as an LLC-lease space to the LLC. This is to protect your home in the event of legal action.

Provide, if possible, a space completely separate from your living space-don't use a room in your house. My dojo's in my barn.

Don't teach kids.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

3. Likes mkrueger liked this post
    Likes (received)

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Even with an LLC I wouldn't want to take a chance on losing everything due to a lawsuit. Even with a LLC your teaching on your property.
    Also, I'm very strict on separating my hobbies and activities away from my home and family. When I'm home my time is theirs.
    Tony Urena

5. Likes elder999 liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyU View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't do it. Even with an LLC I wouldn't want to take a chance on losing everything due to a lawsuit. Even with a LLC your teaching on your property.
    Also, I'm very strict on separating my hobbies and activities away from my home and family. When I'm home my time is theirs.
    Kind of depends on where you are, and how you conduct your business-the barn's at another end of the property, and the LLC rents it from me-this, along with insurance and the standard "quit-claim," pretty much makes my personal assets free of any liability. Someone might be able to go after me personally for some sort of negligence in my instruction, but the best protection against that is not to be....

A lot of people-a lot of really top-notch people-do this......I'm just "a lot of people," not necessarily "top-notch."
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

7. Likes pgsmith, Ichiro liked this post
    Likes (received)

Good advice elder!

I know at least one guy that runs his school as a "private club" instead of a "for profit" school. He says its much harder to successfully sue him for inuries should they occur and easier to keep out people he does not want to train.
    Last edited by cxt; 28th February 2015 at 19:59.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

9. Likes elder999, Lance Gatling liked this post
    Likes (received)

Is there a rider of some sort that one can add to a homeowner's insurance policy, that would cover liability stuff, such as slip-and-fall, etc? That's one of the things I'd want to consider too, if starting a home dojo.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cady Goldfield View Post
    Is there a rider of some sort that one can add to a homeowner's insurance policy, that would cover liability stuff, such as slip-and-fall, etc?
    The liability portion of the policy should already cover that, although one might want to increase the limits and such. I suspect, though, that a standard homeowner's policy would not cover liability resulting from teaching in the home; a "professions" or commercial policy would probably be required. The same principle applies to the difference between one of your kid's playmates getting hurt at your home versus an injury to a child from running a daycare operation.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

12. Likes Cady Goldfield, elder999 liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by cxt View Post
    Good advice elder!

I know at least one guy that runs his school as a "private club" instead of a "for profit" school. He says its much harder to successfully sue him for inuries should they occur and easier to keep out people he does not want to train.
    I keep people out that I don't want to train by contracting for training to a certain point-white belt to green is one contract, and green to brown is another, as is brown to black, though, by the time they get to that last one, I've usually been pretty certain I wanted them to stay around-the few that have made it, anyway.....on the other hand, more than once, I've come to the "green belt contract" or the "brown belt contract" and said, "You know, I don't want to teach you anymore. You should find another place to train, 'cause there's no place here for you."

just sayin': Contracts. Not all bad at all, in this day and age.Had an asshole cop actually try to sue me, back in the 90's when I was just starting to teach-wasn't gonna happen....

And, oh yeah-I don't advertise at all-you come to me, you've been or asked around some. Don't even have brochures or cards, these days....I retire and go commercial, that might change until I can't do this anymore, but in the meantime, I like to stay....particular.

It may be my barn, but it's still home, after all.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

- H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cady Goldfield View Post
    Is there a rider of some sort that one can add to a homeowner's insurance policy, that would cover liability stuff, such as slip-and-fall, etc? That's one of the things I'd want to consider too, if starting a home dojo.
    Separate policies for separate liabilities:the slip and fall should be covered by both, actually: with my property, it's entirely possible that on a day when I don't cancel classes (or don't get around to it) and there's snow in the drive, someone could slide off my driveway (road, actually) and into a tree....that'd be homeonwner's-and (based on experience) their auto insurance....or they could slip on my (unshoveled, unsalted) walkway-that'd also be homeowner's. On the other hand, they don't wipe their feet, and slip on the stairs in the barn up to the dojo? LLC insurance, all the way. My friend's broken collarbone about 13 years ago? Dojo insurance.

That last fellow, back in 2004, who thought challenging me in my own home was a good idea?

Lawyer.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

- H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

My brother is an insurance broker (45 states) and has helped a few dojo. I am trying to see if he can craft some general thoughts for me to post here. He is a busy fellow but I will try to rush this along.
    Stephen Baker

"Never cruel nor cowardly, never give up, never give in." Doctor Who

16. Likes mkrueger liked this post
    Likes (received)

like your idea but, a few things to settle:

1. Insurance third party injuries
    2. enough space
    3. mats on the wall aswell
    4. legal issues e.g. registration, noise pollution.
    5. fees to run the dojo

Likes (received)

I apologize for the delay, but my brother is getting together a blurb of thoughts to share with folks re the insurance side of a dojo. This does not constitute legal advice, but your homeowners will probably not cover much of anything related to a "dojo" injury or property issue if one occurs. We have found that many agents also cannot you what is in your own policy. This also happens if you happen to run a dojo out of another of your own businesses.
    Stephen Baker

Likes (received)

That would be great Stephen! There is actually very little information on-line about dojo insurance, and even less about home dojo concerns. Having your brother put something together that helps explain the basics is a terrific idea, and will be much appreciated.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

You can get insurance to cover : coming and going to class, slips, falls and injuries around 35 K per student per injury, plus a couple of million on you for lawsuits. Costs a couple of hundred a year depending on how many students.If I recall, for 35 students I paid around $400.00

Phil Scudieri
    www.DelawareBudokan.net

Likes (received)

I am sorry for the delayed response. Right now I only have his sales webpage for dojo insurance. I am working on getting the broader thoughts. I am happy to post if anybody would like to see the insurance sales page. My intent was to share the thoughts without the sales bit.
    Stephen Baker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast