Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Running A Home Dojo....

Likes (received)

Here are a plethora of thoughts:

General Liability: A student could slip and fall in your studio and you could be sued for accidental bodily injury.
    Accident Medical: A participant is injured during a class and has medical or dental bills.
    You have a studio in your home and your home owners insurance provides NO COVERAGE because you are running a business.
    Many home owners policies have exclusions for a business at your home.
    You may need a certificate of insurance to get a contract or rent space.
    You specifially need a policy that does NOT exclude participants
    Beware of policies that exclude participants.
    The dojo insurance that you can quote and buy online does not have a participant exclusion, which is the type of policy that you want.
    It includes both general liability and accident medical coverage.

What if I run a dojo from my home or just have a “club”?
    Your homeowners insurance probably has an exclusion for businesses operating from your home.
    Even if you have a separate building for your studio, it’s still located at your home address and you still likely do not have coverage under a homeowners policy.
    Just because you call it by a different name, such as a “club” that does not mean that you cannot be sued for accident bodily injuries. Just a simple slip and fall claim from a visitor to your studio could cost you your business, your savings, and more when you tried to defend it.
    Let’s say this again – your homeowners insurance probably has an exclusion for businesses and possibly even one for any type of “athletic activities” on the premises.

Here is the link to the original:
    https://stratuminsurance.com/dojo-in...dio-insurance/
    Last edited by StephenBaker; 27th March 2015 at 06:04. Reason: Fixed link
    Stephen Baker

"Never cruel nor cowardly, never give up, never give in." Doctor Who

Likes (received)

This thread is awesome.

I am currently in a mission to increase the number of students. We could do another 8 to 10 more active students.

We have the right program and the sempai are all involved.

Likes (received)

Default Home Dojo

Forget about it,
    Unless you have a 5th Degree Black Belt in what you're teaching, you're looking for a headache. You need to focus on a teaching certificate for the Judo or Jiu Jitsu.
    There are two types of schools, The first is the school with a teacher that can hand out promotion to a certain Belt via association with a Judo, Aikido, or Jiu Jitsu school. This requires permission and licensing like a franchise.
    The other school is for an introduction into self-defense as personal protection. You can teach at a local Community College and teach introduction to Jiu Jitsu for adult education and you can pay the Community College some money for using their facility as a school.
    You can also go to a University or a local gym and teach there.
    You need a simple course structure to teach basic competence to your students. If your students are competent and well taught, you did your best to teach.
    Write a lesson plan on what your students should learn, before you start teaching classes.

Likes (received)

Living in Illiniostan I would never do this.
    Ed Boyd

5. Likes Lance Gatling, StephenBaker, elder999 liked this post
    Likes (received)

I've done something like this...

One of my classes right now is in someone else's home yoga studio, the other is in someone else's home dojo. The important thing is to make sure you break even. Other than that, in many ways it's preferable to room rental (which is the other thing I've done for a number of years), because you have more control over the space.

However, you have to know your location will NOT bring people in by itself. People don't get jazzed about home dojo locations like they do storefront type places. You need to always be putting yourself out there to meet interested people in order to replace the people that leave by attrition too, because you will not have advertising via just being there, the way you would in a more public spot. I have a tight knit, very dedicated group in both of my classes, one has had the same group of people for 4 or 5 years, and still eventually people move away from town, etc..so plan for it.

Understand though, running a big, commercial program from home probably ain't happening, for a number of reasons, but IME you can definitely have successful tight-knit training groups, provided you already have people that you know are dedicated enough to show up.

As to insurance, basic insurance can be had for like 4-500$ per year. I don't carry it for my classes, I just have a very good liability waiver. I did carry it when I rented public space as they required it.

BTW, I am actually married to an attorney who is normally very cautious, and she felt the waiver (well written) was enough, I can her ask her more detail if anyone is interested.
    Zachariah Zinn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2