Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Shakujo / Bo kata

Likes (received)

Default Shakujo / Bo kata

Are there official shakujo/Bo kata in Shorinji Kempo?

I see some on youtube, but I've heard that hombu has never authorized them officially.

My favorites of course are the ones of Ueda Sensei at Hombu. We had a Nidan here who trained and learned all his Shakujo kata from Ueda Sensei, but he's been inactive for some time now and I heard Ueda has retired too.

https://youtu.be/F1kYIZVErug

https://youtu.be/l4X0K55QazM

Gassho,
    Ryan

Likes (received)

Gassho,

Quote Originally Posted by ryama23 View Post
    For what I've read (mainly in this forum ) there is no official curriculum and thus there are no official hokei. Anyway, at least all Tenchiken (I-VI) are widely performed with shakujo. I've also seen videos of Giwaken and an adaptation for shakujo of an "old and strange" dokko-ken tanen hokei. This thread contains some valuable information, specially sensei Rob Gassin's opening post and sensei Anders' later answer.

I see some on youtube, but I've heard that hombu has never authorized them officially.
    Yes, there are many. In case you didn't already know, there is a very interesting site here. It is called Bo-yu-kai and I think it belongs to a "club of friends of the stick" or something like that. They publish many videos of bo and jo and there is a section where you can find all Tenchiken and Giwaken in tanen and sotai form. (You should find it here, but as the url contains kanji, maybe it doesn't work and you'll have to browse the penultimate item inside the second menu element). The man in the videos is a senior wearing a ShorinjiKempo dogi, so surely he is a ShorinjiKempo sensei or, at least, a kenshi.

My favorites of course are the ones of Ueda Sensei at Hombu. We had a Nidan here who trained and learned all his Shakujo kata from Ueda Sensei, but he's been inactive for some time now and I heard Ueda has retired too.

Yes, Ueda sensei is legendary! - The clips you reference were taken from a Baseball Magazine video. Anyway, I don't know if they can be considered "kata" (tanen hokei) - For me, they seem to be embu (one of them tandoku, the other sotai with Kawashima sensei). What I mean is that maybe they are not "standarized forms", but free creations of Ueda sensei. This is the original tape:

Kesshu
    Fernando Fernández de Bobadilla
    WSKO Almería Branch - SPAIN

3. Likes Tripitaka of AA liked this post
    Likes (received)

Ueda sensei was booted out wasn't he?

The BSKF's new curriculum has shakujo waza firmly placed among the normal juho and goho.
    David Dunn
    Cambridge Dojo
    BSKF

Likes (received)

I assume that you by "kata" mean single forms? This is something of a pet peeve for me, in Shorinji Kempo our forms are called hōkei 法形 and our single forms are called tan'en kihon hōkei 単演基本法形 (or tan'en hōkei for short). It may be confusing that two of our single forms, have "kata" in their name (ryū no kata 龍の形 and kō manji ken (manji no kata) 紅卍拳(まんじ之形).

So many kenshi (and sometimes teachers), are misusing the term "kata" when they should say "tan'en hōkei"

Yes, as far as I know we have never had shakujō in the kamokuhyō (curriculum), although shakujō has always been mentioned in the Kyōhan. In the first edition of the Kyōhan (they made a reprint of that for the 50th anniversary) there is actually quite a few basics with shakujō included. But at least Kaiso didn't include shakujō in the last version of the kamokuhyō that was made when he was alive, and as far as I know it was never included in earlier editions of the kamokuhyō.

Those clips are, as Fernando mentioned, from the video "Shorinji Kempo - Sono giho to oshie" (少林寺拳法 その技法と教え).

Yes, Ueda-sensei retired not so long after he was awarded 9 dan. He also closed his dōin (Naoshima dōin) at that time.

In the thread Fernando linked to there are some other good information, thanks for digging up that Fernando.
    It is somewhat sad that hombu didn't continue with the shakujō project, but there are quite a few people that practice shakujō regularly in Japan today.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dunn View Post
    Ueda sensei was booted out wasn't he?
    No he wasn't.

To contribute to this thread a bit more here is a good clip

From the description:
    "Kongō den Shakujō jiyuu tandoku embu" 金剛伝 錫杖自由単独演武

It also says the name and rank of the person performing, but I can't read his name, but his rank is Daikenhi godan.

/Anders
    Anders Pettersson
    www.shorinjikempo.net - www.shorinjikempo.se
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを - 宗 道臣
    "Nakaba wa jiko no shiawase wo, nakaba wa hito no shiawase wo" - So Doshin

6. Likes Tripitaka of AA, Fernando liked this post
    Likes (received)

Gassho,

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Pettersson View Post
    In the thread Fernando linked to there are some other good information, thanks for digging up that Fernando.
    You're welcome, sensei. I enjoy (and learn) very much reading old threads with such interesting posts as yours are

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Pettersson View Post
    To contribute to this thread a bit more here is a good clip
    Yes, this is good! I had already catched it for my collection. Here is the (youtube) source, where you can see him also in his dojo.

As a matter of curiosity, Do you know the name of that characteristic kamae you can usually see in shakujo videos, where they hold it with both hands horizontally at chest height?

Kesshu.
    Fernando Fernández de Bobadilla
    WSKO Almería Branch - SPAIN

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
    You're welcome, sensei. I enjoy (and learn) very much reading old threads with such interesting posts as yours are
    Thanks.

Yes, this is good! I had already catched it for my collection. Here is the (youtube) source, where you can see him also in his dojo.
    Yes, I also subscribe to his channel, he has quite a few good shakujō clips.

As a matter of curiosity, Do you know the name of that characteristic kamae you can usually see in shakujo videos, where they hold it with both hands horizontally at chest height?
    Yes

From your description, even if I think it should be hold more in the height of suigetsu, then it is nagare gamae 流れ構え.
    This kamae has some variations, usually both hands are in jun, but it is also possible to have one hand in jun and one in gyaku.

/Anders
    Anders Pettersson
    www.shorinjikempo.net - www.shorinjikempo.se
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを - 宗 道臣
    "Nakaba wa jiko no shiawase wo, nakaba wa hito no shiawase wo" - So Doshin

9. Likes Fernando liked this post