Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Overhead strike

Likes (received)

Default Overhead strike

I need some clarity on the practical applications of the overhead strike using a katana. Im talking about the position where you hold the katana straight over ones head then proceed to make a horizontal striking motion. I dont see how this could be practically used from other than a starting position. But if you were to attack an opponent and he parries or simply blocks and you retract the blade over your head to commit to another attack, wouldn't a skilled swordsman cut you down at the moment of retraction? Like I said, I can see the practical applications of this sword position as a starting posture but other than that I always come to the conclusion when I play it out in my head of me or someone else getting cut about 2 or three times in the middle of retracting the blade.
    It would be appreciated to get some other perspectives on this. Thanks.

Likes (received)

I presume you mean a vertical striking motion and not horizontal.

Long story short, the problems you raise were real and were very carefully considered by founders of the koryu kenjutsu schools. Never the less, Shinkage ryu and Itto ryu consider this cut to be the "best" for multiple reasons.

Here's something to wrap your brain around (LITERALLY): I cannot find the citation right now but there has been archeological research into the battlefields of Satsuma where warriors' skulls were found with the tsuba of their own sword embedded into their foreheads.

3. Likes cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

You said "horizontal striking motion." If you meant vertical strike (a horizontal strike wouldn't make sense from an "over one's head" starting position), you're probably referring to what is often called a shomengiri or shomenuchi. Starting from the upper posture known as jodangamae or jodan-no-kamae, this is a powerful posture. It's true that jodan is often an initial position, but it can also be a secondary position. One avoids creating an opening when assuming jodan through timing, distance, and strategy (what the opponent is doing at the time.) Also, a shomenuchi needn't only be done from a static posture; one can quickly move from one strike to another, or from a low posture into a shomenuchi.

"I always come to the conclusion when I play it out in my head of me or someone else getting cut about 2 or three times in the middle of retracting the blade." After getting some training under a qualified sensei, you can "play it out" for real with a shinai or bokken. I think you'll see that, when used appropriately, your opponent will not have an opening in which to cut you two or three times when shomenuchi is used appropriately. See for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PVrq4i4iSc and https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=165&v=_6X7G7T8vL0
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 11th May 2015 at 20:32.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

5. Likes Cliff Judge, cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

my bad guys i meant vertical.

Likes (received)

You really did a good job in clearing up the confusion I had. Thanks I understand now. This will help my training!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenWaves View Post
    You really did a good job in clearing up the confusion I had. Thanks I understand now. This will help my training!
    Usually people in the sword world do not use the word katana. Its a Nihonto for general use and collectors. Users refer to a Shinken (live blade) or an Iaito, an unsharpened practice blade for iai etc. 'To' refers to Japanese sword whereas 'ken' is any blade of any shape.

Adopting a jodan stance to cut from above the head is an advantage. Its also removes the the wrists/arms as a target. Downside is the opponent is more aware of your intention. But if you truly understand ma-ai, the timing and distance of things its of no consequence.

One cant cut from above the head wearing armour. This is why older ryu prefer hasso waza (blade back and at the side of the head). Cutting to reach slightly up, out and forward the blade will still find the center.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

9. Likes cxt, Cliff Judge, Brian Owens, pgsmith, CEB liked this post