Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Warriors of Budo - Shorinji Kempo

Likes (received)

Default Warriors of Budo - Shorinji Kempo

Empty Mind Films have been making documentary shorts on various Budo. Shorinji Kempo has been featured. It's really nice!

https://youtu.be/UF15fjuHNEs

2. Likes Fernando, Enfors liked this post
    Likes (received)

Very nice, apart from the Soen or whatever it's called. Have they chiseled off the swastika on the Niosan and replaced it yet?

Likes (received)

Unhappy Bad news

Gassho,

I was waiting for the release of this documentary with great expectation, but on June (25th and 26th), they (Empty Mind Films) posted this on Facebook:

Sadly, we have to announce that Episode Five: Shorinji Kempo will not be released and will not be included in our Warriors of Budo series. Shorinji Kempo organization did not like our documentary. We can post a detailed explanation when we have cooled down but right now no one can watch what we believe was a really great additon to our Budo series. We apologise to our audience and those who patiently waited for this to be released.
    Update: As of today we propose to release Episode Five as Kendo in place of Shorinji Kempo for a mid-July release. Episode Six will be Naginata-Jukendo-Tankendo and Jodo for early August release. If we can resolve our situation with WSKO we may try to release Shorinji Kempo as the last episode. Thank you for your support.
    I know nothing, so I won't make any comment about the disagreement. I will only say that it is really a pity

Kesshu.
    Fernando Fernández de Bobadilla
    WSKO Almería Branch - SPAIN

5. Likes Tripitaka of AA liked this post
    Likes (received)

Another triumph from the people who brought us the BSKF screwup. Is this clashing with their pie in the sky Olympic ambitions or maybe the Sky-TV deal they hope for?

Likes (received)

Gassho,

There is still a chance we get to see this documentary. This is the last Facebook post (on august, 3rd) of Empty Mind Films:

We have an update on the episode featuring Shorinji Kempo. We have been working together with Shorinji Kempo organization this last few weeks and as part of this we submitted revised edits of the documentary. This is now in review by the WSKO. Shorinji Kempo is a Budo which we feel is an important part of our series on Japanese martial arts and hopefully we may soon be able to bring you this exciting episode.
    I hope they reach an agreement!

Kesshu.
    Fernando Fernández de Bobadilla
    WSKO Almería Branch - SPAIN

8. Likes Tripitaka of AA, JL. liked this post
    Likes (received)

Default More Shorinji Kempo videos

This one doesn't have english subtitles, but great old footage of Hombu and Kaiso. Onaka Sensei posted this on Facebook. Note midway thru there's an old still photo used of Kenshi wearing boxing gloves. On some post in another topic I mentioned a photo of a boxing ring at Hombu and I said it was in the Kyohon, but was wrong. I swear I recall seeing that picture from my visit to Hombu.... anyway not a big deal just interesting because the tempo pattern in the form mirrors some Western boxing training.

Last edited by ryama23; 19th August 2015 at 19:34. Reason: more info

Likes (received)

.. which featured clips from "Shorinji Kempo" (1976), (released in the West as "The Killing Machine"), and also the BBC documentary "The Way of the Warrior" (1983). I can't read the banner on Hombu's main entrance, but it might say 50th anniversary, which would explain the dogi still showing Manji instead of Soen.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....