Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Judo in Spokane

Likes (received)

Default Judo in Spokane

Hi everyone,

I was curious if anyone knows about any of the judo clubs in Spokane? I've become interested in training in Judo. I've come across two just from a basic google search, the Spokane Judo club and Pacific Judo Academy. But I have also been doing some research on other dojo's of the area and came across one or two but I am unsure if they are in operation still. First being the Seiki Kan Judo which I do know is closed, I came across a book at the local bookstore that gave a brief history on it and on the back with the authors information is mentioned some other dojos those being the Seihoku Budokan ran by Robey Reed and Darren Barnes then there is the authors dojo Bushidokan Judo Academy under Victor Caputo. No other info is given on any of these Dojo's and I'm coming up dry on web searches.

I have the contact information for the Spokane Judo and Pacific Judo because like I said it was simple google search but if
    anyone could provide me with any info and/or experiences with any of the Dojos listed above it would be much appreciated!

- Anthony Nehls

Likes (received)

I can't answer your questions since I left Spokane years ago, but let me just say welcome to E-Budo.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Thank you Brian for the warm welcome! Good to see others from Washington, I too will be actually will be leaving Spokane for Seattle. Off to school over there.

- Anthony Nehls

Likes (received)

Well! Once you get over here, the oldest Judo school in the continental United States, Seattle Dojo, is waiting. It's a small but historically important dojo just up the hill from Seattle's China Town / International District, and across the street from a park and small Japanese garden operated by a large Buddhist church.

See: http://www.seattledojo.org/about.htm

Name:  interior.JPG
Views: 2206
Size:  44.3 KB
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 17th June 2015 at 05:30.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Know of Robey Reed through Chinen Sensei. It has been YEARS. If Mr. Reed is still teaching I would highly reccomend you find him.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Thanks Brian! I actually planned to visit the dojo when I get over there!

The NW is filled with martial arts gems, I've recently taken interest in researching the Asian history of the NW and there is so much history its astounding, like I said the book I recently found at the store "The Judo of Seiki Kan" gave me a brief in sight what it was like here in Spokane. I must say I do have some bias toward these things because being of Japanese ancestry, it makes me feel at home studying these subjects.

Chinen Sensei and Seattle Dojo is one of those amazing gems we have here in the NW and it also sounds like Mr. Reed is too.

Thank you Ed for you input! I sure hope to find him and hopefully he is still teaching if not I would just be happy to chat with him for a few moments!

Maybe its time to go old school and just crack the phone book open.

- Anthony Nehls

Likes (received)

In Seattle Metro, also check out Aaron Fields. He's a member of E-budo. His site is http://www.seatowngrappling.com/p/home.html .

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    Know of Robey Reed through Chinen Sensei.
    Teruo Chinen?
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Last I heard Robey was a sick man and unable to participate. First met and worked out with him in 1961 while he was stationed at Kadena AB, Okinawa and then when he was at Tachikawa AB, Japan. Last time we were together was while at some meeting in Busier City, LA back in the mid-1970's. You may also run into Marie Wick up there as well. I guess maybe we all are too old for that stuff now.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Svinth View Post
    In Seattle Metro, also check out Aaron Fields. He's a member of E-budo. His site is http://www.seatowngrappling.com/p/home.html .
    And of course Joe's book, if the subject matter is of interest...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006R...8896_AA75_QL70

Likes (received)

I have boxes of those books left, too. I should have printed a hundred, at most.

Buyers have been mostly relatives of people named in the book.

Likes (received)

Brian, not to answer for Ed but Teruo Chinen Sensei is still out here in Spokane.

Sorry to hear that Jeff, thanks for the information.

Joe, how would I go about ordering the book from you? I would truly love to have it in my collection, the subject matter is right up my alley. Also Ill be sure to check out Mr. Aaron Fields school too!

Thanks!

- Anthony Nehls

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nehls View Post
    Brian, not to answer for Ed but Teruo Chinen Sensei is still out here in Spokane.
    Yes; I was just wondering if that's who he meant when he said "Chinen Sensei." My Shito Ryu sensei also studied Goju Ryu under Chinen Sensei in Spokane, so I know of him but didn't know he was also a Judo practioner.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

The address for ordering books is EJMAS, PO Box 14361, Tumwater, WA 98511-4361. Cost is $25 per book. The price includes postage in the USA. I'm not set up to handle credit cards, but checks are fine.

Likes (received)

BTW, Robey Reed also studied Goju Ryu under Miyasato sensei (hachidan at the time, eventualy judan Goju-ryu) when he was at Kadena AFB. Miyasato sensei was also a great Judo sensei and the President of the Okinawan Judo Federation. Not sure what Robey took up in Japan, but after he returned to the States he continued karate and eventually was a hachidan in some school of karate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast