Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Unsharpened Baltimore Knife and Sword Katana for Iaido use?

Likes (received)

Smile Unsharpened Baltimore Knife and Sword Katana for Iaido use?

Hi all!

I'm just getting started with Kendo and Iaido, and I'm looking around for an Iaito that won't annihilate my wallet. My main concern is safety / quality, so I'll spend more if need be, but I have my eye on a Katana made by Baltimore Knife and Sword, which is the company that hosts the "Man at Arms: Reforged" series. They make a wide range of sword styles, but they don't seem to do too many Japanese swords. However, http://imakeswords.com/katanas.htm <- this Katana, and I'm referring to the one at the very bottom of the page, looks rather nice. I can't seem to find a review of them anywhere, but I figured someone here might have some experience with their Katanas. I'd be wanting to order an unsharpened Katana from them to use as an Iaito. Considering that their other swords are well known for their quality, would this be worth trying?

Thanks!
    -Ben

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Hi all!

I'm just getting started with Kendo and Iaido, and I'm looking around for an Iaito that won't annihilate my wallet. My main concern is safety / quality, so I'll spend more if need be, but I have my eye on a Katana made by Baltimore Knife and Sword, which is the company that hosts the "Man at Arms: Reforged" series. They make a wide range of sword styles, but they don't seem to do too many Japanese swords. However, http://imakeswords.com/katanas.htm <- this Katana, and I'm referring to the one at the very bottom of the page, looks rather nice. I can't seem to find a review of them anywhere, but I figured someone here might have some experience with their Katanas. I'd be wanting to order an unsharpened Katana from them to use as an Iaito. Considering that their other swords are well known for their quality, would this be worth trying?

Thanks!
    -Ben
    Nooooo.....please don't.

It may be a quality modern sort of hobby / cosplay piece, but it is not a "katana." The blade morphology is wrong, and it has no koshirae.

If $650 won't break your bank you can afford about half of what Tozando sells on their site.

Tozando's base model will set you back barely $250. You might be able to find something even cheaper but you might not want to go much cheaper.

For Iaido you really want something that has proper furniture as managing all of that is every bit as important as cutting correctly. Which you probably want a hi (groove) on the blade for so you can hear the whoosh anyway.

Likes (received)

Please consult with your sensei before purchasing any equipment for kendo or iaido. Most iaido sensei won't allow any of the knife-shop type swords in their dojo. They can recommend the proper length for you, along with other considerations. They may even not want you to buy a iaito right away, asking that you train with bokken to start.

For kendo or iaido equipment, many clubs have suppliers they like to deal with and have negotiated club discounts. So it's to your financial and technical advantage to consult with your sensei before any gear purchases.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

4. Likes Brian Owens liked this post