Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Origins of Ne Waza

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Gatling View Post
    Why was the OP banned?

I've done some work on this and have a theory of the development of judo newaza that so far fits. No major drawbacks but there is very little prime source. Everything is secondary or reading between the lines.
    And? You can't post that and leave us hangin' Lance!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hissho View Post
    And? You can't post that and leave us hangin' Lance!
    Yes, I can. I'm working on a book and while this is only a tiny bit of it, but helps set the stage.

I give the occasional class aside and demonstration on the development of judo, including newaza, but I don't think my students understand that no one seems to understand the history of newaza. Fly over sometime, I'll show you, too.

There is remarkably little written about newaza until the 1920-1930's. The entire massive Judo History by Maruyama barely mentions it. The word almost doesn't appear in the huge judo sections of books like Showa Tenran Jiai / Budô Hôkan that are otherwise exhaustive, but they postdate newaza development by 30-40 years.

Mr. Rafael Deutsch is on the right track - you define the rules of competition, eventually the Borge... err, the Kodokan, absorbs you. I wrote that somewhere herein years ago.
    http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...359#post506359
    As mentioned in another recent thread, there is only such much time for training, and eventually everyone focuses on Kodokan judo because that's what they needed for the increasingly frequent and popular judo competitions. So if you're teaching Susquatch ryu jujutsu, even if it is the greatest thing on earth but the techniques are banned from judo competitions, how long is that going to last? It's a wonder that any of the koryű survived so long, actually, but all were infected and bettered, no doubt, by Kodokan techniques. The loss is whatever unique techniques were lost to history.

The official Kodokan history truncates decades of development into
    'Kano shihan opened the Kodokan in 1882 and started teaching judo'
    when judo didn't exist for decades after 1882. In fact he usually uses the term jujutsu himself until much later.

And Kano shihan himself wrote that he cooperated with the heads of other schools to develop judo - dropping dangerous techniques and adding a handful of new ones - one line in stacks of books.

It's the new ones that are interesting and tell the tale.
    Lance Gatling ガトリング
    Tokyo 東京

Long as we're making up titles, call me 'The Duke of Earl'

3. Likes mkrueger liked this post
    Likes (received)

Yes, I can. I'm working on a book and while this is only a tiny bit of it, but helps set the stage.

... Fly over sometime, I'll show you, too.
    Oh, I'd love to but that dream is on indefinite hold - looking forward to the book, however!

Likes (received)

Why was the OP banned?
    I suspect it may be due to getting his feathers ruffled over in this thread.

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...-Jujutsu/page6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2