Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Questioning of aikido

Likes (received)

Default Questioning of aikido

Hi,

as you you maybe have seen or not seen the majority of the mma websites are now throwing out that Aikido is just as fake as those KO masters. We all know that there are strong and weak forms of aikido mainly in executions of the style. I'm am asking now what are fellow Aikidiokas Thi of this?

Likes (received)

This topic has been discussed many times, on many forums.
    It's not that aikido is "fake," it's that it was intended for uses other than sport combat. The people badmouthing aikido on mma forums are comparing apples to oranges.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Hello Adam,
    You can go to any dedicated forum, and the folks on that forum will be putting down something. I've heard plenty of disparaging remarks made about modern MMA fighters. In my mind, it doesn't really matter what those that don't practice an art, and so don't have a clue what it's about, think about something. Have to remember that we practice martial arts for ourselves, not for what others may think of us.

I think that if your main interest is in MMA fighting, then aikido is not the best way to advance that interest.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

4. Likes Hissho, mkrueger liked this post
    Likes (received)

Default Hi

I have been training in Yoshinkan Aikido for the past 8 years and I guess its just the way that someone declare that it was fake. But I have to agree with the previous thread. Due to all the hype in MMA ( which I have no interest in), You do start to question sometimes the validity of things.

Likes (received)

Hello,

As Cady and Paul stated, this is not a new issue and can probably be said of other martial arts. When general discussions forums like this were more popular (before Facebook and Twitter came along), forums like Bullshido flourished and people there delighted in telling us all how bad aikido was as a martial art. Here we have a waiting list in our kids' class because there is not enough space -- and K1 and MMA fighting is quite popular here in Japan.

Best wishes
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

7. Likes pgsmith, Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

If the notion that a classification as martial art should be based solely on fighting effectiveness (not even addressing the difference between fighting and self-defense), then there are going to be a lot of martial arts receiving demotions. Kyudo, kendo, jodo to start us off.

9. Likes Cady Goldfield, cxt liked this post