Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking for Practice Partners Interested People

Likes (received)

Default Looking for Practice Partners Interested People

Living in Western Nebraska ... Anyone interested in Iaido and TSKSR as taught by Mark Jones and Sugawara Tetsutaka ...I'm here!

Likes (received)

I wish I could join you but I am in the Dallas Texas area. I really like the concept though and I would also like to see if there is anyone in this area that would like to train outside of class.
    Wilkes Alexander

Likes (received)

Yep. Have a nice space, need people to help pay for it. Good luck.

Likes (received)

I'm in south central Nebraska, about 5 hours from you I believe. I'm a beginner interested in iaido and have not found anything in my area.

Lincoln Budokan is 3 hours from me. They will not teach iaido unless you first take kendo from them for 1 year.

Likes (received)

Just a tad too far for much regular practice ... Still ...

Likes (received)

Meantime keep in touch. I MAY be moving East. If you want to come West.... Well ...

Likes (received)

Wow, a 1 year Kendo requirement!?!? In my Dojo, it could be the other way around. The first hour is Iaido and the second hour is Kendo. We will sometimes go from 10 students to 40 as people show up for Kendo and skip Iaido.
    Wilkes Alexander

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes View Post
    Wow, a 1 year Kendo requirement!?!? In my Dojo, it could be the other way around. The first hour is Iaido and the second hour is Kendo. We will sometimes go from 10 students to 40 as people show up for Kendo and skip Iaido.
    The sensei told me too many people start iaido then quickly drop out. So he now requires a 1 year kendo completed before he will accept iaido students.
    Last edited by Nutzman; 12th February 2016 at 22:28.

Likes (received)

That's cool. I am an older guy (58) and I thought I would like Iaido more than Kendo, but it is hard on the knees and toes, but I am trying to loosen up and strengthen up so I can do it. It is the most beautiful and hypnotizing thing I have ever seen...when done correctly. It is like moving meditation. I am shopping for a sword now and also working on Kendo. I am told that if I stick with it, I could be in armor and join the rotation in 6 months. So far, so good and I am loving it !!!
    Wilkes Alexander

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes View Post
    That's cool. I am an older guy (58) and I thought I would like Iaido more than Kendo, but it is hard on the knees and toes, but I am trying to loosen up and strengthen up so I can do it. It is the most beautiful and hypnotizing thing I have ever seen...when done correctly. It is like moving meditation. I am shopping for a sword now and also working on Kendo. I am told that if I stick with it, I could be in armor and join the rotation in 6 months. So far, so good and I am loving it !!!
    That's awesome! I'm not exactly a young guy, at all. I'm 45 and just looking to get started in some type of JSA.

Which will probably be whatever I can find nearby. I don't think I'm ready to commit to a 6 hour round trip once a week for kendo, when my interest is really iaido. That may be my only choice though, my only path to my goal.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hancockhorse View Post
    Meantime keep in touch. I MAY be moving East. If you want to come West.... Well ...
    I'll keep that in mind. Kearney is the closest big (relative) town to me. I'm about an hour from there.

I was surprised to learn that Kearney, a university town, has so few options for martial arts instruction.

Likes (received)

Our Kendo-Iaido folks have established standards for us folks who can't do seiza. Same with Sugawara Budo and iaigoshi. I'm 63 and my technique feels good as ever ... Course I walk the treadmill and lift (moderate) weights in support too. Just find a way to practice. Come to Alliance now and then?