Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Beginner looking for a katana

Likes (received)

Default Beginner looking for a katana

Does anyone have any tips or leads for a beginner lookng to buy a katana? What to look for, where to look and what to spend. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Wilkes Alexander

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes View Post
    Does anyone have any tips or leads for a beginner lookng to buy a katana? What to look for, where to look and what to spend. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Hi Wilkes,

I would honestly start with your sensei. There are also a few threads here discussing a new katana.

One small bit of advice, its free, so you know its worth; do not purchase a katana too heavy to learn the correct technique. Again, your sensei can advise.

Best of luck in your endeavor.

Stephen
    Stephen Baker

"Never cruel nor cowardly, never give up, never give in." Doctor Who

Likes (received)

Thank you Stephen, very good advice.
    Wilkes Alexander

Likes (received)

Default Buying a katana

As has been said, ask your sensei. But you should be an informed questioner. The following are rhetorical - I don't need answers. You do. (and any word you don't understand, rather than asking me to explain - if you are in that position, just look them up on the web. Educate yourself.
    1. What ryu do you practice. Specific ryu often have very clear ideas on what kind of katana is suitable. This is not necessarily (or likely) how valuable a sword you buy. I'm talking about morphology.
    2. This can include length of tsuka (some prefer long, some prefer shorter); the placement of the menuki (some prefer that the menuki is a 'finger-grip' - others a palm filler; the type of wrapping of the hilt; and if the hilt should flare or round at the end
    3. Blade weight - generally speaking, most iaido schools prefer a lighter blade - sometimes 800 grams. Other schools a heavier blade. Some prefer a 'hi' - others do not.
    4. Some schools that specialize in tamishigiri are honest, so to speak, and want the students to use a sword that as an 'appleseed' edge - a real fighting edge. Other tamishigiri schools are comfortable with grass cleavers, that cut really well, but are not suitable for kenjutsu (real fighting). Yes, I know, we won't be fighting with swords these days, but I'd as soon us a cleaver sword as a light saber for my training.
    5. Length - some schools are really particular about length, others are indifferent. Some prefer a longer blade (which is harder to acquire, because it's not standard model and probably will cost more).

It has been my experience that Swordstore has honest, rather sturdy blades at a reasonable price. One can order to different specs. This is the only company I've had personal experience with. http://swordstore.com

And with all that - ask your sensei . . .
    Ellis Amdur

5. Likes Wilkes, StephenBaker liked this post
    Likes (received)

Ellis,
    Thank you very much for your informative reply. As you suggest I will educate myself and ask my Sensei...and now I will know better exactly what to ask thanks to you.
    Wilkes Alexander