Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Medical Preparedness

Likes (received)

Default Medical Preparedness

Well - there was a post on CPR that was obviously marketing - but it is a topic for discussion in the world of martial arts and personal protection. All the self defense skills in the world won't do you much good if you can't help a loved one that is choking, or having a heart attack, or a fellow practitioner bleeding profusely from that "oops!" moment with a live blade, or when you put a round through your own thigh due to failing to index when handling a firearm....and so on...

CPR/First Aid are important, of course. No one that is a parent or teacher in a martial arts school should be without the basic level of instruction. Once again, you are more likely to use them on loved ones - or on yourself, or in directing someone to take care of you - so getting training is a win-win.

All manner of obvious things can occur in a martial arts training context, beyond potential issues with older or un-healthy students; jams and sprains, broken bones, dealing with unconsciousness due to trauma or to being strangled....having an understanding of how to treat - and how NOT to treat - such situations breeds confidence and trust in yourself and your students.

If you are working at all with live blades - swords or smaller edges - accidents can happen and to my way of thinking, one important aspect of understanding the use and art of the blade is understanding how to deal with injuries caused by such weapons. The benefit of such knowledge could be life saving.

Same goes for shooting.

From the self defense perspective: more than simply another aspect of overall skill with the weapon, being able to field-treat slashes, stab wounds, gunshot wounds, and the like are an important part of survival. If you claim to teach realistic self defense, some part of your own background, at least, should include basic knowledge here. People can be cut and stabbed and shot when defending themselves and knowing how to manage injuries to yourself, to loved ones whom you may have been protecting, to bystanders in the public, and even to the assailant when it is tactically feasible furthers a more in-depth and practical understanding of these disciplines.

CPR/First Aid courses are everywhere, and I have seem TCCC (Tactical Combat Casualty Care) made available to the general public as well. Even if you don't work with guns, or teach others how to defend themselves from firearms, check with your local public range as to whether they are aware of course offerings in your area.

2. Likes Tripitaka of AA, mkrueger liked this post
    Likes (received)

An increasing number of shooters bring a tourniquet, combat gauze, etc. to the range when they practice. It seems like one ought to consider doing the same for home practice of iaido or kenjutsu or what-have you. Even excellent practitioners sometimes cut themselves severely during noto after all.
    Al Heinemann
    www.shofukan.ca

Likes (received)

I totally agree with you. But not many people realize that medical training is just as useful as self defense. I think one of the basics to learn and one of the most important is tourniquet usage, CPR, and infection prevention for cuts.

Likes (received)

Agreed - medical training goes hand in hand with self defense. Using a TQ, and stopping other bleeds is most important to self defense (and sharp weapons or firearms training). Then CPR, and next I would add choke prevention (no, not choke defense...) I was able to keep my child from choking when younger due to this training.