Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Norfolk/Suffolk based dojo - or recommendations for style

Likes (received)

Hi there, sorry flippant comment on my part.

I had emailed the Kodokan and was advised that lots of the activities were for 4th dan and higher, This was however based around a conversation regarding stays of around a week - they suggested that at the very least I'd need to stay for a year and complete the basics courses with regular training, this partly because I train with BJA rather than Kodokan here in the UK.

apologies, wasn't intending to mislead and perhaps I have gotten the wrong end of the stick when I emailed them but the answer to my email was generally complete the basics or attend the kodokan courses that allow for Kyu grades.

Likes (received)

I think, i'll have to re-email them and perhaps be a little clearer with my intentions.

Likes (received)

Default Suffolk jujutsu

It sounds like you may have the weapons class solved, but if you're still looking for a jujutsu alternative, and Ipswich is within range, there's quite a bit of Hakko Ryu derived jujutsu there, including one recently Hakko Ryu affiliated dojo. I used to train with many of them before I moved – drop me an email or PM if you'd like contact details.
    Giles Chamberlin
    http://www.jujutsu.org.uk

Likes (received)

HI there, yes I think the weapons side of things is sorted, fantastic first class last night i'm amazed at the intricacy of Iaido, very short kata but incredible how much technique can be fit into such a short sequence of moves. I'll be going back for sure!

With regards to open hand I think i'll be leaving my current club in the next couple of months. My main role model is moving abroad and as such I think the driving force of the club will be gone. There is another club fairly close operating under the JKS, they are a very active group and i'm thinking of giving them a try and converting to their association. I'd like to stick to Karate, just need to have more instruction within it really and at 31 I don't wish to waste time earning a worthless blackbelt, I want to have earned one knowing it was hard work. for example I have waited for three months for grading certificates, only to be given two of the 5 owed, one is unsigned the other is on a different sized piece of paper, perhaps this is minor but i've worked damned hard to get them and it should be rewarded as such.

and with Judo added in I think given time i'll get where I want with unarmed too. As much as the ipswich class looks great it is still a fair drive away which makes it tricky to train regularly enough but if the new Shotokan club doesn't work out i'd certainly consider it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2