Likes Likes:  3

Thread: In Harm's Way

Likes (received)

Default In Harm's Way

Some people wondered what happened to my old Prevail Training/NW CQC Blog.

Well, it's back. New name.

In Harm's Way

2. Likes CEB, mkrueger, cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

Well this is some good news to wake up to. Looking forward to digging right in. I really got a lot out of your previous writings.
    Al Heinemann
    www.shofukan.ca

Likes (received)

I liked the article on tactical ankle trips.

Tani Otoshi is probably what I score most of my points with at tournament. The thing with Tani Otoshi is the mechanical motions can be applied almost any direction and becomes a different throw. The family includes Uki Waza, Yoko Gake, Yoko Wakari etc... When I came back to Judo in the early 2000s I found the new Judoka were much more forward aggressive due to what I blame on the anti-stalling rules that went in place in the 90s. I hit Uki waza all the time.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Thanks guys!

Ed - yeah, it's just that many sutemi waza are just not sound as "go to's" in a street type situation or resistive arrest encounter. I have long critiqued this but I don't think some people got it - some of the stuff in BJJ that is offered to police officers or military is simply not sound. I'm trying to show alternatives.

That being said, I know that sutemi waza are represented in the Koshiki no Kata. My personal view is that such waza are intended for "if you were being thrown, or falling on slippery or uneven ground anyway, here are some ways to still take your man down..."