Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Taekwondo Safety Equipment

Likes (received)

Default Taekwondo Safety Equipment

I used to do Karate as a young boy, I then had a year or two away from martial arts before taking up Taekwondo, which I preferred. When I ended my teen years, I stopped going to classes and now, around 10 years on, I've rekindled my interest. The main reason I stopped classes is because my twin boys were born. The funny thing is, it was them taking an interest in martial arts that made me want to get back involved. I want to get them enrolled in a class but probably not until they are another year older as I've been told that 11 is a good age for them to start. I was however quite keen on getting some training equipment for home so that I could start getting back familiar with Taekwondo and maybe start to show the boys some of the basic principles. My younger brother used to do it too for a shortwhile so he's said he'll come round and help me practice a bit. As I've been out of the game, I was wondering which company make the best Taekwondo martial arts safety equipment, well maybe not the top brand but an affordable one that make solid kit geared towards amateurs like me who want to practice at home? I wanted things like sparring gloves, body pads, that sort of thing.

Likes (received)

Century Martial Arts is a well-established maker of TKD/karate protective gear, and over the years their product line has diversified and they experiment with new materials and designs. Back in the day, we used very little protective gear -- just mouth pieces, and cups for the guys -- but companies like Century really took off in the 80s and 90s, and now their lines of helmets, gloves, shin guards, chest protectors and the like are widely used in both competition and traditional training. Check out their website.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyjim View Post
    I used to do Karate as a young boy, I then had a year or two away from martial arts before taking up Taekwondo, which I preferred. When I ended my teen years, I stopped going to classes and now, around 10 years on, I've rekindled my interest. The main reason I stopped classes is because my twin boys were born. The funny thing is, it was them taking an interest in martial arts that made me want to get back involved. I want to get them enrolled in a class but probably not until they are another year older as I've been told that 11 is a good age for them to start. I was however quite keen on getting some training equipment for home so that I could start getting back familiar with Taekwondo and maybe start to show the boys some of the basic principles. My younger brother used to do it too for a shortwhile so he's said he'll come round and help me practice a bit. As I've been out of the game, I was wondering which company make the best Taekwondo safety equipment for sale, well maybe not the top brand but an affordable one that make solid kit geared towards amateurs like me who want to practice at home? I wanted things like sparring gloves, body pads, that sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cady Goldfield View Post
    Century Martial Arts is a well-established maker of TKD/karate protective gear, and over the years their product line has diversified and they experiment with new materials and designs. Back in the day, we used very little protective gear -- just mouth pieces, and cups for the guys -- but companies like Century really took off in the 80s and 90s, and now their lines of helmets, gloves, shin guards, chest protectors and the like are widely used in both competition and traditional training. Check out their website.

OK, thanks, appreciate the quick response. I'll look them up for sure. As my kids will be getting into it quite young, I'd definitely feel a lot more at ease if they were to use all the safety gear they can as I don't want to get told off by their mother when they get all bruised up. Things definitely change in a short space of time as technology advances, you're definitely right there.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cady Goldfield View Post
    Just had a quick look at their website, you're not wrong, I had no idea there was so much gear you could buy. I will have a proper look later when I get up. Thanks again.

Likes (received)

For safety gear I can recommend looking into Fighters Inc. from Florida. They are the official distributor for Top Ten in America:
    https://www.fighters-inc.com/brands/top-ten
    Top Ten was invented in Germany and is famous for its highly shock absorbing and durable padding made from Bayfill polyurethane. The headgear is great and has been used in the Olympics for decades.