Likes Likes:  27
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Scarcity of Real Combative Training: Miyamoto Musashi and Misty the Cat

Likes (received)

Like I said, I misunderstood.

I'm almost entirely on your side of the issue of realism as you have laid it out.

The respect is mutual.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Likes (received)

Hello Everybody,

I have gone through the thread and edited out some comments and added a few. I have done this because I consider the topic to be of great importance and also that the two protagonists are well qualified to discuss it.

However, I also need to state that there is context assumed here that is too easily taken for granted, especially in an international forum like E-Budo. I first noticed this assumption about context in the Guardians vs. Warriors thread, but did not have the time or inclination to enter a deep philosophical discussion about Plato.

I check E-Budo at least once daily and the Personal Protection and Self-Defense forums are always among the first to be visited, mainly because of the interest of the topics and the high quality of the discussions.

Gun use is far more prevalent in the US than in many other countries, especially Japan and Sweden, where the two administrators of E-Budo reside. So I come to this sub-forum to see a corrective to all the Facebook material we read about the allegedly wanton and arbitrary use use of lethal force on the part of the police in the US.

Finally, as a moderator/administrator, I have not interfered so much in a thread since the controversies involving Stephen Grayston and karate in the UK, which took place a few years ago. I think E-Budo is fortunate in having forum moderators who are serious and expert in their chosen arts, but an important function is to ensure that discussions and controversies are conducted fairly in an atmosphere of mutual respect, and I regard this function as important for the E-Budo administrators and senior moderators, who look after the whole forum.

So, I thank Hissho and cxt for their patience and forbearance while the thread was closed, and look forward to further discussions -- and also to further controversies.

Peter Goldsbury
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

3. Likes mkrueger, pgsmith liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3