Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 36 years 9 months - and out

Likes (received)

Default 36 years 9 months - and out

At the end of August I finally retired from SK, with my last session being with Sensei Chris Dodd and Indar Pickton-Howell at Central London Branch. I could no longer take the risk of injury, even though my speed and power are undiminished.
    Anyway, the good news is the SK saved my life! For the full story...

For the most part, or actually the first half, it was fun. Then considerably less so once the politics kicked in, and I simply continued to train for my own fitness and self discipline. Will I miss it? Probably not, although I will no doubt be dropping in from time to time to see some of you. Otherwise, it's 3 nights a week down the gym. Considerably more boring, but necessary.

Likes (received)

Really? Injury?

I occasionally saw Japanese students practicing SK and the training seemed intense but more 'polite' than in aikido. Someone once did a study of the number of fatal injuries due to aikido in Japanese universities and there were quite a few. How about SK?

Best wishes on your retirement.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Not really injury as such. As I mentioned in the link, I have an 8cm aortic aneurysm that has been internally bypassed. So a rupture would not kill me but would certainly require cutting me open to fix it. "No impacts" is a good rule under such circumstances. I also have stent graft passing through the knee joint, which should last quite a few years - unless I flex them repeatedly at obtuse angles by performing thousands of kicks.

Likes (received)

Dirk, I haven't logged on here for a while and I've only just read your post. The extended version of the hospital adventure is a gripping yarn with all the details described delightfully. As adventures go, it has something for everyone (particularly those who enjoy reading about mountain climbers cutting off their own arm with a rusty pen-knife). I laughed, I winced and I may have been tempted to shed a tear or two. Thanks for the heads-up.

I wonder how much you'd have had to pay for that healthcare if you had not been in the National Health Service. I know that you have the sort of mind that must have pondered such things. Room, nursing care, meals, meds, surgeon, anaesthetist, X-rays, blood tests... not many of those things available to your average viking .
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....